An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, September 7, 2007

Endorphins-Shmorphins

I turned 40 this past February and I was determined to make some changes in my life, exercise being one of them. I've always been active, but I had been noticing some definite changes in my body (gravity DOES exist!!) and so I decided to be more aggressive in my exercise routine.

I began walking/jogging most days of the week. And here was the problem . . . where, Oh where! , were those endorphins, that natural high, that feeling of euphoria that you were supposed to feel when exercising? All I felt was sweaty and tired. Was I not working out hard enough?

Seven months later I have it all figured out: I do have endorphins after all! I do get that natural high, that feeling of euphoria , that sense of well-being. . . when the exercise session is OVER!! You go, girl!!

2 comments:

:o) mg said...

I can SO relate. One thing about being 40 and exercising for me is that I am not seeing results NEARLY as quickly as I would like. It is really starting to make me angry (Image: the little Martian on Bugs Bunny who, panting but between breaths, says he is going to "blow up Earth with his space modulator".)

Ua said...

I sympathize! I've learned that I need to exercise EVERY DAY to maintain or lose weight. That's the reality for a person who enjoys eating. I sometimes wonder how huge I would be if I didn't excercise every day! But it's all about fitness, not weight, so you can rest assured that you are much healthier for all the frustrating exercise you do! The benefits are not always visible.