An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Java Joe . . . or not

My husband and I have been married for sixteen years and I love him dearly. He does have one character flaw, though. He doesn't drink coffee. He doesn't like coffee. He has never even tried coffee. Now, that's just wrong.

I, on the other hand, love my morning cappuccino. Between my Bialetti stovetop coffee maker and my Barista espresso machine (a gift from a wonderful sister-in-law!) I wake up every morning with Starbucks at my fingertips. For me it's a comforting ritual, one that is carried out in the early dawn when everything is still quiet and peaceful.

My husband just doesn't get it. I was making my morning cappuccino recently when I offered to make him one as well. He didn't even answer; he just made a face.

"How can you not like coffee? You've never tried it." I remarked, determined to ignore the fact that he was shuddering.

"Why do I want to start drinking something that I can get addicted to?" he asked, sounding too much like the engineer that he is.

"I am not addicted." But I was getting perturbed. And defensive. "I only have one cappuccino in the morning and sometimes one in the afternoon."

"I have seen you when you haven't had your coffee," he observed. "You're addicted."

Well.
Okay then.
Until he wakes up and smells the coffee, I'll just enjoy drinking mine!

5 comments:

:o) mg said...

hmm... defensive about her java.... could be that you might have an addiction.
You are the third person in a week I have read about who raves about their Barista.
One day I'd love to invite myself over and taste just how good it really is.

Ua said...

You poor thing. Joe doesn't have many flaws, but that coffee thing sure counts! And I'm with you on the morning cappuccino... when I don't have it I'm a mess. This morning I was fixing my son's lunch before drinking my cappuccino. I was putting hot chili in his thermos when I realized it smelled funny. "Mommy, why are you putting baked beans in my thermos?" asked my son. OOOPS! Then I was packing his snack into his backpack when he said, "Ummm... Mommy? That's not my backpack. That's your tennis bag." OOOOOOPS!

It's pretty bad when your son tells you, "Just go back to bed, Mommy. I'll take it from here."

I was going to type "Thank God for coffee!" but maybe Joe is right about the addiction part...

Anonymous said...

Joe is NUTS. He probably doesn't like cream cheese either. I'll tell you what is addictive. Reading and commenting on these blogs is addictive!! Nonno

Bia said...

okay. Dad, that is really funny!

Lisa said...

as the sister of the husband, and a sister-in-law of the barista, I fo one know that Joe is missing out on another treat from his wife. Maybe if you add extra steamed milk, add the cocoa to the top, he may just think you made a fancy hot chocolate! Or, if the three younger men join you for a morning drink, the husband may really wonder what he is missing. Have one for me, Maria!