An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Random Facts

Well, I've been tagged to share seven random facts about myself; I just hope that I don't bore you to tears. I am especially embarrassed to write this on the heels of my previous post about Sandro, who is much more deserving of the attention. So, forgive me in advance . . .

1. I love the serenity of the moon, or in Italian, la bella luna. Don't get me wrong, the splendor of a sunrise or a sunset can take my breath away, but to go outside when there is a full moon, well, there is nothing quite like it. I guess it's the solitude, or the way the light lands gently on the trees, or . . . okay, I'll stop. As you can see, I wasn't kidding about the moon.

2. I once went on a two week mission trip to Haiti and studied in Spain for a summer during college. But it is Italy--the food, the culture, the art, the language,the land--that holds a special place in my heart.

3. Before I had children I taught high school English and Spanish . . . an Italian, teaching Spanish and English, with a British maiden name that was changed to a Slovak last name after I got married in the middle of the school year. Don't worry, I'm confused too!

4. I turned 40 this year and accomplished the following: went to Rome, Italy with my best friend (a surprise from my wonderful husband), let my hair grow long for the first time in my life, and started to get serious about my writing again.

5. I turned 40 this year and noticed the following: my knees are creaky, I'm having to exercise furiously to get rid of my "Hi, Marys!" (don't ask), I don't need as much sleep, and I like who I am.

6. I won a $2,000 college scholarship from Coor's Beer! I'm not kidding. (It was set up for children of veterans and my Dad was retired military.) This scholarship generated more than a few laughs while in college, but strangely most people thought I was just joking. (FYI: I did get a few other scholarships that were more scholarly in nature.)

7. My family calls me Martha Stewart because I love to decorate, cook and entertain. I make a great chicken and polenta dish and nothing makes me happier than to have people seated around my farm table sharing a meal. Dinner anyone?

8. I met my husband while serving the garlic bread at a spaghetti dinner at our church. This December will be our 17th anniversary and, despite the fact that he has this quirky character trait of not liking coffee (Java Joe . . . or not), I love my husband dearly. We have three wonderful sons, and I couldn't be happier.

Okay, I know that was 8 random facts. Did I also mention that I was never good in Math? Now go read something really interesting!

7 comments:

PAOLA said...

ciao Bia, 8 bellissimi punti, tutti simpatici e divertenti, però quello che mi ha meravigliato di più è il fatto che sei anche capace di fare un "link" per aprire un'altra pagine in internet (Java Joe ...or not) GREAT!!!
Bacioni Paola

Jen said...

Well, I thought this was plenty interesting. I agree that Italy is one of the(if not THE) best places on the planet! I went to Florence, Rome, Milan, and Venice, but I would love to see more.

onthegomom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I would love to visit Italy one day, it is on my top 3 places I want to go.

I have to admit, I too have creaky knees... they remind me that I am getting older each and every time I exercise!

http://momoftheyear-not.blogspot.com/

Darla said...

No fair! I wish I could be more like Martha Stewart!!! I actually love decorating (painting and decorating my girls' bedrooms has been one of my favorite projects) but can never spend on what I really would like to do! I like baking and cooking if someone else will do the cleanup!!! Very interesting facts about yourself!:)

Heather said...

I for one found these facts VERY interesting, Bia! I am also an Italophile, but haven't been since the jubilee year. Your chicken and polenta dish sounds scrumptious - do share!

suburbancorrespondent said...

A beer scholarship? So...what was your major, anyway?

Bia said...

suburbancorrespondent-
Uhm, English and Spanish!