An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"To-do" Lists

Yesterday I happened to come across a "to-do" list that my eldest son had scribbled on a scrap of paper, and I thought, "Yes, he is definitely our son." Both my husband and I are big list makers, and it was touching to see my son, now that his schedule is busy with school, sports, and exams become a little adult in the way he organizes his world.

Finding his list also filled me with delight because (and here is a dirty little secret) I am a list saboteur.

Yes, I like to add "to-do" items to other people's lists. Nothing I add to these lists is a chore; instead, on my husband's list of change air filters, check pressure in front tire, or fertilize backyard I might surreptitiously add hug your wife, ask your wife out on a date, or bring your wife flowers. Sometimes I just draw a heart, or a smiley face.

Nothing difficult, but my add-ons often bring a smile . . . and sometimes they even get done.

My son's list was a new territory for me. Should I scribble help your mom with the groceries? Tell your Mom she is the greatest?

Reviewing my various options, it dawned on me that lists always seem to deal with this physical world. . . what to do instead of how to be. What about a spiritual "to-do" list, one full of reminders on how to be a good person? Mentally, I made list.

  • practice charity
  • forgive someone
  • help a stranger
  • take a stand
  • visit the sick
  • read/watch something inspirational
  • sing a hymn
  • be a peacemaker
  • be kind, smile, speak gently

I need a list like this.

Which brings me back to my son's list. There was nothing I wanted him to physically do, but there was so much that I wanted him to be. So, at the end of his list of turn in reading log, lift weights, type story I simply wrote: be a child of God.

And I drew a smiley face.

14 comments:

:o) mg said...

If it were my kid, he would forget where he put the list, and maybe even that he made the list!

Kellan said...

You are too cool!! I love that you add these special notes to your loved one's lists and the one you added to you sons was beautiful. I am a list maker as well - I also need this spiritual list and will keep it in mind, my friend. Take care. Kellan

Kathleen Grace said...

You may never know what those little notes mean to your family, but sometimes little comments like that mean everything. You are a wise mother:>)

Karen said...

That's awesome! He has to know that you love him that much.

Teri said...

NICE Blog :)

Deanne said...

Nice thoughts and suggestions!

When I was growing up I would add silly things to my moms shopping list, mostly to make her laugh. I wouldn't tell her about it, instead I wanted her to discover it while shopping. I was a cat lover, so at times I would add 'kitty' to her list! hee hee Oh, and if I was with her while shopping I would add things to the cart, like a big o bag of oranges just to see if she was paying attention! I know, I was a sneaky little booge, but hopefully she thought I was fun. :)

Kari & Kijsa said...

Loved this post! And there is nothing better one could add to a list!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

suburbancorrespondent said...

That's great! I remember once, during my monthly commissary trip, looking at my list and seeing "marshmallows" and "potato chips" scrawled in a childish hand.

Maria said...

Sounds like you're a great mom:)

onthegomom said...

I loved the idea of the spiritual list. I need to put that in action!

I also add things to my children's list... usually something like I <3 U! Or equally clever.

I love your blog :-)

Kathryn said...

Great add on! Your son is lucky to have such a great mom!

Darla said...

SO cute!!! Fun to read your blog again! I've been so busy that now, when my 3 y.o. accidentally fell asleep and my newborn just is crying off and on, not just "on", instead of cleaning like I should be doing, I 'm catching up on blogs!

Lisa said...

So good! Lucky son! Great post!

Bia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.