An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Eating, and praying, and drawing...oh my!

Tonight my oldest son planned family night. Using our formula of food, faith, and fun, here's what he came up with:

food:
prepared an indoor picnic with hot dogs, tater tots, cole slaw

faith:
read Sunday's gospel and offered a commentary

fun:
-using stuffed animals, set up a shooting range with nerf guns
(Mom tied for first place, surprising everyone)
-organized a rousing game of Pictionary using a large dry erase board (thank you, Julie!!)
-had his brother read a scary story while he prepared and served us hot chocolate with marshmallows

9 comments:

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

I so admire this tradition of yours. I can't think how to go about implementing it, though. Can you give me some starter ideas? Thanks!

Holly said...

What a fun night. We have a similar family night on Mondays. It's a wonderful tradition and so important for bring families closer together.

Wendy said...

I'm loving all the suggestions I'm getting from your blog about possible family night activities. I'll have to write them all down, since I doubt the two little ones are up for such fun quite yet. My older two would definitely love the shooting range idea. We even have a perfect spot for this. This old home has a bookbar which separates the living room from the hallway and bedrooms. Oh, we've got to try this! What fun family times you have!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I LOVE the shooting range idea. Is it wrong if I want to include a few Dora dolls in there?

E said...

What a wonderful post. I love that you let the kids choose the activities. We always did something similar when we let each family member fill one of our vacation days, restaurant choices, theme park or beach, or or or...Now everybody is older and the choices naturally fall out among the group. This is a wonderful tradition you have begun

Lisa said...

Oh, what fun! This sounds like the perfect evening to me! (What a great idea using a big dry erase board for Pictionary!)

Kathryn said...

Your kiddos plan great family nights. I love this idea and may copy it!!

onthegomom said...

I love hearing about your family and your traditions. It is rejuvinating! I am hoping to start something like this on my own.

Also, thank you so much for your kind words on my blog, it means a lot to me. Thank you.

Nadine said...

I hopped over from SuburbanCorrespondent's weblog. What a great idea! That sounds like a fun night. I have to remember it when my kids (2 and 1.5 months) are a little bit older.