An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just because I can

Yesterday morning I was enjoying my cappuccino and some biscotti. Aahh, I thought to myself. The sun is shining, Lent is over . . . and I am free to have sweets again.

I dunked a cookie into my frothy cappuccino and enjoyed it. Immensely.

But I did get to wondering. Why is it that the moment parameters, boundaries, or guidelines are gone, we immediately revert to old behavior? I didn't need that cookie, and yet I chose to have it just because I could.

Mature? No. It seems even after becoming adults, in many ways we are still children.

I now realize that when I decided to give up sweets for Lent, my heavenly Father was looking out for me. He used that time to gently reveal to me what was becoming a very bad habit of snacking throughout the day, especially on sweets. I'd pack the boys' lunches and pop an oreo (or two!) into my mouth; I would enjoy biscotti with my morning cappuccino and my afternoon cappuccino; when my toddler couldn't finish his ice cream, I finished it for him.

Like a child who wants a toy only once it has been removed, it wasn't until I couldn't have any sweets that I fully realized how much I snacked on sweets out of habit and without even thinking.

Our heavenly Father is a wonderful parent. With Lent He made me aware of a bad habit, trained me for 40 days to change that habit, and now with the Easter season set me free . . . free to choose to have the sweets or (and this is what I learned) free to choose NOT have the sweets. Now I decide instead of letting a bad habit decide for me.

So, as I sit there on this glorious morning with my cappuccino, today I choose not have those biscotti . . . just because I can.

14 comments:

Jodi said...

Saw your comment on Holly's blog and was immediately interested in yours because I have FIVE sons...no daughters. We lost our second son two years ago. I will visit your blog often.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

Funny - I was just thinking yesterday about how we don't really see what we're really doing until we stop (as far as habits go). That is, if we are indulging in the bad habit, all we hear are our rationalizations to justify doing it; but if we don't let ourselves, then we sort of hear the real reasons we are indulging.

It sounded a lot more profound in my head....

j.a.varela said...

Hummm! I think I know something about that. I will keep secret her name. But she’s the mother of our ten children. She takes breakfast (coffee and a toast ) with me, then with the children, then after Mass and then about eleven o’clock because she feels a little dizzy. Luckily our breakfast is not the American style.

j.a.varela

Maria said...

I think lent is also so we will truly enjoy all the treats in the world. Just think if all you could eat for the next year is biscotti. You would end up hating them. Because you keep lent, these foods are a pleasure.

Maria said...

By the way, in our religion, we keep lent the old way. We don't eat anything from an animal. We have four lents a year. Whenever it isn't lent, I REALLY enjoy eating meat!

Kathryn said...

As always a great post. I gave up bad carbs and boy was I astonished at how much I eat of them...truly eye opening!

j.a.varela said...

Why don´t you go to

http://familiaenconstruccion.blogspot.com/2008/03/una-leccin-de-vida.html ?

I hope you like and you agree with the translation.

j.a.varela

Yvonne said...

What a great post--You've given me lots to think about. Thanks.

Bia said...

Sr. Varela,

That was very funny about your wife. Mi Nonna italiana fue lo mismo!!

Gracias por la traducción!

GrandmaK said...

This was terrific!! You really hit the nail on the head! God love you, you know me too well...for this is what I do. And I ask the same question. God IS good! And as a Father he is the BEST! Thank you! Cathy

Holly said...

Beautiful post Bia.

E said...

Okay I put down the chocolate egg. You are right. It becomes unthinking and then even the pleasure is only a fragment of what it would be if we actually chose...thanks

Lisa said...

Ya got me. =sigh= You are sooo right! Thanks for this wake up call! You know, it's kinda weird, but I actually did find I could get along very well without that coffee.. (And I know I'm better off without it...)

Karen said...

You are a wise child of the Lord. If I'd realized this earlier I wouldn't be working so hard to take off the 30 pounds I put on.