An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Lesson

Cruel branches grabbing,
holding me back.
Bitter, piercing cold
burning my chest.

But still I run . . .
I must, I need to!
The snow captures my footsteps,
evidence of my journey.

Finally, I stop at a clearing
while my heart runs on.
There. There she is.
Timeless for all the world.

I stand before her
waiting, searching.
The snow gently falls,
one flake at a time.

Just me and her
and the snow.
A snowflake on her cheek,
a tear on mine.

A tolling bell
breaks the silence,
and gathering from her warmth
I turn to go.

Before me stand my footsteps. . .
like a lesson.

Boldly I step aside,
creating a new pattern in the snow.

9 comments:

GrandmaK said...

WOW!! Very visual and what instruction given in the art of learning. Thank you!!! Cathy

Karen said...

Very good. I love it.

E said...

Beautiful...evocative. You should submit this one

Kathryn said...

Please let me know where this will be published, I want to buy a copy and then write a letter to the editor praising it!!

Laura said...

Okay...you ARE really good at the poetry thing...
excellent.

Kari & Kijsa said...

Love this poem...truly beautiful!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Kari & Kijsa said...

Love this poem...truly beautiful!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Lisa said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Perfect.

SuzyQ said...

My goodness! Did you write this!
It's exquisette.
Really,
so beautiful!