An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Brothers . . . can't live with them, can't live without them

So, my two oldest boys get into an argument tonight. Listening to them, my husband and I see that they are both wrong, but neither will admit it. It goes on like this. Because they share a room and the argument is getting ridiculous, we separate them by putting them to bed in different bedrooms.

Then, a storm comes.

A ferocious storm. With thunder, lightning, and wind.

Our eleven year old comes running into our bedroom. He doesn't want to sleep alone. It's too scary. Can he sleep with us?

Our thirteen year old comes in. The wind is really howling and the back bedroom is making funny noises. Can he go back to his own bedroom? Please?

So, we tuck them back into their own beds, in the bedroom that they share. They are both grinning ear to ear.

As my husband and I walk out of their bedroom we hear them whispering "I'm sorry" to each other . . .

which makes both of us grin ear to ear.

8 comments:

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

So sweet!

Lisa said...

Oh, I love this vignette! So like brothers. It's a love/hate relationship sometimes ~ I think they don't know that it's mostly love, though, do they? (I guess most of us figure it out by the time we're grown ups, don't we?)

Soutenus said...

Great post! Aren't you glad you wrote it down :-)
These are the kinds of things your sons might read years and years from now. The memory will come flooding back in vivid detail ---
Blessings to you and yours.

Karen said...

I love that they said "I'm sorry." Isn't it always the storms in life that drive us to what's important in life?

Laura said...

Awwwwwwww.....

:o) mg said...

What a beautiful ending to a rough time.

SuzyQ said...

Sounds exactly like my 2 eldest girls!
What a sweet story:)

Wendy said...

What a sweet story! I have missed visiting your blog for a while (lack of time and our aol is down, so getting in and out is more challenging).