An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Straight out of the Movies: Part II

In his comment in yesterday's post, Juan thought that it was indeed possible for a snake to climb up in the minivan's engine and then come slithering out of an air vent while I was driving. Well, then. Since the snake was still somewhere, and since my husband was home on Friday, he gallantly agreed to run carpool that afternoon and to take our little one with him.

And you are not going to believe what happened.

Sure enough, a snake . . . I'M KIDDING. No snake.

But something did happen:

My husband was sitting in the parked van in the in the middle of the carpool lane, right in front of the school. Once all the cars were loaded and the teachers dismissed the lane, my husband (reminder: parked in the middle of the carpool lane) discovered that the van battery was completely and totally dead.

Now, I'm not happy that my husband had to deal with jumper cables, rambunctious, over-helpful boys, and the looks of pity from the entire school as they drove around him in the middle of the carpool lane. Not at all.

I'm just thankful that a cute, little snake worked it out so that I could stay home on that hot, Friday afternoon enjoying a cappuccino without a worry in the world.


8 comments:

Holly said...

I agree, that definitely worked out well!! Here's to gallant husbands!

Karen said...

Not fun - thankfully it wasn't you!

j.a.varela said...

No haré más bromas sobre víboras!!
De verdad!

juan

PS. Bia, creo que Mercatornet http://www.mercatornet.com/, un sitio muy bueno, recibiría con mucho gusto sus colaboraciones. ¿Por qué no lo intenta?

Sorry for writing in spanish today. Must be the weather.

Soutenus said...

I am smiling for you!
But - with all this snake talk I am thinking seriously about a pet mongoose (don't they LOVE to hunt and eat snakes?)
I am in Texas and no stranger to copperheads. Yep, I am thinking a neutered mongoose is the way to go --- in the Virgin Islands they brought in the mongoose to take care of the snake problem, Now they have a mongoose problem.
Hmmmmmmm, wonder why this idea has never caught on?

LaDonnaMobile said...

I feel your pain--I once pulled into a parking lot and heard a blood-curdling howling coming from under my hood. The cat had climbed up into the engine, unbeknownst to me--and I had driven with that poor cat stuck up in there. I had to call out to a man in the parking lot to help me open the hood, for fear I'd faint when I saw a mangled corpse, but believe it or not, the cat survived! :)

GrandmaK said...

Well, let it be said that I think it is grand that Dad had the opportunity to have a memory-making experience with the boys.!!! One which he can often be reminded and how much you appreciated his consideration of you that day. LIFE is good!!! Cathy

Lisa said...

LOL! God is good, isn't He? There are no accidents in the Universe, of that I'm sure! I'm sorry your poor husband had the headache, but, well, aren't car problems part of the Dad's job description ~ while diaper and laundry problems are part of ours?

Kathryn said...

Glad the snake didn't get him, but wish he didn't have to deal with a dead battery. I would have been so relieved Pete was there and not me!