An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, May 10, 2008

What a difference a year makes

One year ago today I was standing in front of the Colosseum in Rome . . .

today I was standing in front of this.



One year ago I was marveling at Michelangelo's ceiling in the Sistine Chapel . . .

today I was marveling at how many times I can watch this without going crazy.

One year ago I was eating at Ristorante Quo Vadis on the Appian Way . . .

tonight we set our table with these.




One year ago I was climbing this staircase at the Vatican Museums . . .


this afternoon I was climbing this to scrub the awning over our side door.



One year ago I threw a coin in La Fontana Trevi and made a wish . . .

that one year from today we will all go back.

13 comments:

onthegomom said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!

beautiful pictures!!!!

Karen said...

Happy Mother's Day!

How fun that you spent time abroad, hopefully you'll get to go back next year!

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

So should we count front-loading washers as one of the wonders of the modern world?

:o) mg said...

Hope it is not too late for me to dissuade you from getting the front loader. I abhor mine.
If you ever find yourself asking the riddle, "How can a machine get clothes clean by using LESS water and NON-SUDSING detergent?" trust me when I promise you the answer will is, "It doesn't!"
Happy Mothers' Day!

GrandmaK said...

Praise God!!! You'll be going back...had to postpone the journey to Ireland this year, but I will visit there!!! Have a grand day!! Cathy

j.a.varela said...

Happy mother�s day.

Cris left a nice comment to your post in:

http://familiaenconstruccion.blogspot.com/2008/05/educar-almas.html

And the photos really make me wish to be there again. One never get tired of Rome.

Juan

Lisa said...

OH, I hope you can! Beautiful pictures ~ even the washing machine and stepladder, because life at home is good, too. (Really it is! &;o) I'm with you on Dora, though. Oh, my goodness, that show gives me a rash! Happy Mother's Day (one day late!)!

Holly said...

I threw a coin in that very fountain 11 YEARS AGO, wishing that we would be back. Not yet, but some day! Sigh....

Laura said...

I loved Rome. My husband and I went in 2006. It's funny how easy it is to get back to the unfortunate details of reality.
(I happen to like Dora the Explorer though I like the Trevi Fountain better!)

Laura said...

I loved Rome. My husband and I went in 2006. It's funny how easy it is to get back to the unfortunate details of reality.
(I happen to like Dora the Explorer though I like the Trevi Fountain better!)

E said...

We were back in Italy just in October. And already we are planning the next trip. I want to live there for a year. Can you imagine? I'll just bet you can....

:o) mg said...

hrmph.....
**walks away from the computer grumbling as the "Backpack" song is now stuck in her head**

SuzyQ said...

Oh Bia!
Welcome to my world!
By the way can you pack ME in your suitcase next year heehee!