An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Virginia is for Lovers . . .

and Busch Gardens ("Apollo's Chariot is a roller coaster so smooth it's like a magic carpet," explained my sister-in-law. What she neglected to mention: a magic carpet that plummets 200 feet at the speed of light . . . I literally couldn't even scream);

and blueberry picking ("They weigh you before you pick berries and after, that way they can tell how many berries you ate," explained Papa to some very gullible grandsons);

and a generous sister-in-law who twice kidnapped my sons to help them pick out a surprise for me (a capodimonte flower and a pearl from an oyster they personally selected);

and lunch at Panera on a rainy afternoon;

and the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame ("...it's a TOUCHDOWN folks! A touchdown!" yelled my husband into the microphone as he called out highlights of a famous game. People kept peering into the room to see who was rocking the place with his announcing);

and, best of all, Nana and Papa's house (paradise for our sons with its swimming pool, pool table, zip line spanning the width of the entire back yard, and the tallest tree house complete with a hammock and television).

7 comments:

Soutenus said...

How absolutely wonderful!

Lisa said...

I grew up in Virginia ~ and have the happiest memories of it. We went to Busch Gardens right after it first opened (which tells my age, doesn't it?)and I still think it's my favorite park anywhere, including Disneyland. Sounds like your Nana and Papa's house beats it all, though! I want to be that kind of grandparent!

Laura said...

Virginia IS great, but don't tell any Virginians I said so. We Marylanders don't get along with those folks over the bridge.
:)

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

I'm always worried they will start doing that weighing-in thing with the kids!

Wendy said...

Nana & Papa's does sound like a boy paradise!

:o) mg said...

Can I be one of your kids?

Bia said...

Lisa- On the drive home I was saying to my husband that one day when we're grandparents I want to have a fun home for grandchildren like Nana and Papa have.

Laura- Grandparents live in Virginia, but I also have a brother-in-law that lives in Rockville, so we go back and forth.

mg- Only if you're good.