An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Goodbye, My Shadow

Dear Little One,

You know how Peter Pan felt when he lost his shadow? Well, that's how I feel today on this, your first day of preschool. For the past four years you have been my shadow, accompanying me everywhere: Bible Study, carpool, luncheons, weekday Mass, library. The one constant of my days has been you at my side.

This morning I went to the grocery store and you weren't there to mix up my coupons or beg for a matchbox car. I didn't have to explain in two words ("morning snack") to the checkout lady when she asks why the potato chips, the fruit snacks, or the animal cookies were all open.

And now you're off on your own, experiencing exciting adventures, meeting new friends, learning new things, and discovering the beautiful world that is out there. You will have fun, of that I am sure.

But I will miss you. It seems that once a mother gives birth, she then spends the rest of her life letting her baby go.

mille bacioni,
Mommy

9 comments:

Cheryl Lage said...

Look at your little shadow all decked out for school! What a cutie. Can hardly wait to hear how it all goes...for him, AND you!

Lisa said...

God bless mother and son today! What a sweet little guy!

Laura said...

Oh Bia...your killing me.
I'm already feeling sentimental today...He looks so cute.
I bet he had great tales to tell when he came home.

Wendy said...

What a marvelous post! How this transition tugs at every mother's heart strings. My littlest one is loving the fact that on Tuesdays we drop off MS and YS gets to go on errands with me. He fusses on Thursdays, but I am told they have recess together and eat lunch together, so I'm sure they are doing fine.

My goal is to work on writing my book every Thursday morning, but so far it has just been cleaning and this week, a doctor appointment (still, happily without them for a space).

Kim H. said...

Look at him with his cute little back pack on. Why are all mom's suckers for cute boys and back packs?! :)

Enjoy your Mommy time! I have the other extreme - my three "big kids" have gone off to school and their little shadow doesn't know what to do with herself...."Mommy, Mommy, Mommy"....and I wouldn't trade it for a second! :)

Hugs!

Kathryn said...

Oh! He is sooo cute!!!

SuzyQ said...

"I didn't have to explain in two words ("morning snack") to the checkout lady why the potato chips, the fruit snacks, or the animal cookies were all open."
I had to smile at this as this happens to me everytime we go to the shops!
And I also have some pictures, yet to be uploaded of my four year olds first day of school ( sniff, sob)
So I know exactly where you're coming from. It's a big transition for mums too isn't it!

Anonymous said...

Brava Maria! You were able to express the feelings of every mother when she has to say "goodbye" to her child on the first day of school.
As a nonna I still feel the same way...Only now is my little grandchildren's turn to start school, one by one....
Wait till your children will REALLY leave home for collage...And worst of all when they will start getting married! Tears will flow like a river.
But then God will send you the greatest gift of all :GRANCHILDREN!
And the cycle will start all over again. Bacioni. Mom

Darla said...

So sweetly put...well written post!