An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

If at first you don't succeed . . .

Okay, Laura told me to find a book, go to page 55, find the 5th sentence and post it. I'd better do what she says or she'll write a bad haiku about me.

I closed my eyes and reached behind me to the bookcase. I pulled out the Dictionary. Not good . . . doesn't count. (FYI, fifth word on page 55 was animato.)

So I tried again. My hand located a romance novel that was tucked in the bottom shelf. Yikes! You wouldn't think that anything could happen so early in the book . . . but it does, and this is a family blog so I'm not sharing it with you.

Really, I'm not. Sheesh. (mental note: get rid of book)

This is not as easy as I thought it would be.

Then, my eye falls on The Dangerous Book for Boys, which is open face down on the floor. I pick it up. It's open to this chapter: Understanding Grammar: Transitive and Intransitive Verbs. Hmmm. My son has been having grammar woes, and I think it's funny that this is the book he has gone to for help.

Anyway . . . page 55, sentence number 5, and . . . okay. I am not making this up. The page has to do with Italy! Wow! Really, go check for yourself. Here's the sentence from a paragraph about Hannibal:

Rome was in real danger.

There. The third time was a charm. I knew I could do it!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Excellent.
I think part of the meme should be that you have to decide how this sentence is related to your life.

Kathryn said...

I love this, great assignment!

Lisa said...

LOL! OK, Bia ~ Rome was in real danger because Bia's family had not been to visit since_______.

Darla said...

Hmmm... "Rome was in real danger because Bia was on her way to visit; she was long deprived of her favorite city and was ready to take it by storm...shopping 'til she dropped, reconnecting with her roots, dining and shining her brilliance upon all her fellow Italians!" How's that? :)

Bia said...

Darla,

PERFECTO!!!!