An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, October 6, 2008

A Man in the Making

Last week I took my oldest son for a check-up, and that evening he has an important announcement.

"Guess what? Today I officially weighed in at 100 pounds. Doesn't that make me a man?"

I look at my son. He has spaghetti sauce on his cheek, his hair is sticking up in the back, his arms are like toothpicks, and he is talking with his mouth full. In other words, he is 100% boy.

My heart flip-flops, and I smile.

"You're the man," I reply.

11 comments:

Aimee said...

Awww . . . and what a handsome man, too! :)

Karen said...

I weight 100 pounds. (Plus. Ahem.) Does that make me the man, too? :)

Kim H. said...

Oh my word - that is just precious. He reminds me of my Patrick - my almost 12 year old. Lanky and awkward and dorky and absolutely adorable, a joy and a delight - I love everything about HIM.

I'll always think of that story once one of my boys breaks 100. I think tonight I'm going to have to get Patrick on the scale just to see where he's at.

Bia, and I love that he has a nice haircut - what a good boy! :)

So handsome. Your post made my morning! :)

Hugs!

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh Bia what a handsome young "man!"

Love your recounting...and his sweet face! He is a FINE young man...you're doing a great job. :)

GrandmaK said...

And before you know it he truly will be! He really is a handsome "young" man! God bless you all! Cathy

Laura said...

He is a cutie pie.

Darla said...

Oh isn't he ever cute!!! He's darling!

Nancy said...

Oh that's too cute! And what a great answer :)

Lisa said...

Oh, my goodness. Don't blink. That hundred pounds is going to expand from a handsome boy to a handsome young man before you know it. Look out, girls... &:o)

momto5minnies said...

What a cute "man'. I have a 94 pound daughter, but I REFUSE to call her a woman. WHY DO THESE CHILDREN WANT TO AGE THEMSELVES????

Wendy said...

Oh, Bia, he is dashing. Yes, I love the haircut, too! Wish I could get my 90 lb. 12 yr. old to go for the clean-cut look. We have bigger fish to fry right now. For example, he was over 100 but has lost weight from some unexplained stomach issues since summer. Great reply to your son, though.