An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Memory Keepers

Today Laura posted about one of her favorite things . . . a vintage Lolly Pop box. She said she would rather have this one item from her childhood than any crystal or stemware, and I understand completely.

I believe that certain objects actually tell a story. When I walk through an antique store I am always drawn to objects that have been used: old farm equipment, or lace gloves, or a tattered quilt. These things seems to whisper their stories, and I love that. I can imagine a farmer's bowed shoulders as he hooks up this plow; a girl's excitement for her first dance as she pulls on those gloves; a young bride as she carefully unpacks that quilt from her hope chest.

I once bought a photo of a young woman wearing a dress from the 1800's, her hair piled on top of her head with a thick velvet ribbon. She had an interesting face . . . and I felt like I knew her. She is now propped in front of some books in our study, and I think of her as a distant relative.

So I totally understand Laura's attachment to a Lolly Pop box.

When I was a little girl I gave my Nonna a pink ceramic statue of a girl with outstretched arms. On the base was written "I love you this much", and when she passed away the statue came back to me. I had totally forgotten about it; in fact, I hadn't seen it in a long time, but I was so touched that Nonna had kept my little gift. Now it's one of my favorite things because it whispers to me that Nonna, by holding on to it all those years, loved me "this much".


12 comments:

Laura said...

I loved those little statues too.
So heartwarming that YOU have it now.

Kim H. said...

Oh Bia, why'd you go and have to get out the cute statue - I'm getting all weepy again....

That's just the most precious story ever. I love that you still have it and it made its way back to you.

Hugs!

momto5minnies said...

ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS AND PRICELESS! What a sweet story from someone who seems to have a big heart.

Nancy said...

aww - that's such a sweet story! How neat that you have it now :)

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

What a sweet statue and a precious memory to go with it!

Darla said...

That is such of a fun and warm post and a lovely storry about your nonna! I love that she kept that statue all those years. Especially one that says what it says...it is just so symbolic of how much she loved you! :)

Holly said...

What a lovely post. I love the thought of objects telling a story. I firmly believe that.

Lisa said...

I love this! I bet where she is, she knows you have this and is so glad, too!

Lisa said...

I love this! I bet where she is, she knows you have this and is so glad, too!

Lisa said...

I love this! I bet where she is, she knows you have this and is so glad, too!

Lisa said...

Ahahaha! Oops ~ so sorry, Bia ~ I pressed the button and absolutely nothing happened, so I thought I hadn't pressed it hard enough. Twice. &:o)

Wendy said...

I'm like this even with my husband's sentimental things. For years he had a small wooden sculpture (I can't even describe it) which had been a gift from his good friend, Reed. He went to toss it when we moved here and I couldn't let him. This object now holds additional memories and meanings for me. It is now mine and sits on my desk. When I look at it, I think of my husband and of Reed (YS was almost a Reed).