An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Name Game

This morning I helped out with the Halloween Party at my son's preschool. It's common knowledge that our little one hasn't been enthusiastic about the whole preschool thing, so we've spent a lot of time talking to him; in fact, we thought we knew everything about his class . . . down to the names of all his classmates.

Well, at today's party I discovered a few things . . . like gender and names have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

His classmate Alex? He is a girl.
and Brooks? She is a boy.
Logan, turns out is a boy.
Camden is a boy.
Reagan is a boy,
but Carter,on the other hand, is a girl.

I have a headache.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Wow. I haven't experienced this yet in my classroom. I am in trouble.

GrandmaK said...

Time have certainly changed. I guess unisex names are okay. There's a lot to be said though for not having to guess who is who! Cathy

Kim H. said...

Like two other kids I know - both girls named Carson and Ryan. It's so confusing anymore!

Good for you for getting in the classroom to volunteer. I'll bet it was super cute! :)

Hugs!

Burgh Baby said...

We frequently debate whether a name is for a male or female around here, and we are usually wrong. It's not easy!

Kathryn said...

I taught gymnastics to a little girl named Isaac. I really liked it though, it suited her. I still prefer the name for a boy, obviously *smile*

Lisa said...

We've seen a lot of this in recent years, too. It CAN be confusing. We know a girl Ryan, a girl Darrin and a boy Robin. We heard about friend's friend named Shaniqua and didn't have a clue what to guess! (she was a girl. &:o)

Amy Jo said...

My sister was expecting at the same time we were expecting my son. We had talked about naming his Carter which was my grandfather's name. My niece was born 11 weeks before my son, and my *rotten* sister :) took Carter for the middle name of her daughter! We ended up naming him Carson (similar) which means son of the family who lives on the marsh...which is very true of our family. We live on Back Bay and are truly water/outdoorsy folks. Both names those are unisex I suppose.

It could be worse...I taught a class once with four Ashleys, three Kyles, and three Jacobs. We were all confused!

Soutenus said...

Too funny!
My world . . . . today I taught Auora (pronounced "ow ra" but BE SURE to roll the "R"s)
I have Peytons coming outta everywhere - boy and girl Peytons.
Tuong = "tong"
Tien Nan = "tuh nan"
"SeaWash" -- cannot for the life of me remember how to spell it. But that is how to pronounce it (GREAT kid!)
Vishall Pradeepkumar (another WONDERFUL KID) I love his name now that I can say it. I love saying it, too!

I could go on and on.
I do so love these munchkins!

Elizabeth said...

LOL. Boy Leslies and girl Michaels will drive us all crazy one day! So call me a traditionalist... ;)