An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, February 5, 2009

I Know Nothing

I mentioned in yesterday's post a kindergarten buddy named Eric Butterball. His name has been part of our family history for years . . . Bia's "first boyfriend". Just mentioning him always generated some good-natured laughter.

Apparently, the joke was on me.

Yesterday my Dad, ever so calmly and matter-of-factly, left a comment informing me that the name wasn't Butterball, but Butterbaugh.

Well. WELL. All this time I thought my family was laughing at this cute little redhead with the cute little name who had this cute little kindergarten crush on Bia. But noooooo. They were laughing at me.

For 41 years I thought he was Butterball . . . actually, make that almost 42 years . . . today is my birthday.

But then again, maybe it isn't. What do I know?




11 comments:

GrandmaK said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! In case your wondering I was NOT laughing at you! Your post made me smile! Have a WONDERFUL day! Cathy

Laura said...

Happy Birthday DEAR BIA...
and Mr. Butterball says happy birthday too!!!

j.a.varela said...

Muy feliz cumpleaños Bia!

Y con respecto a Mr. Bolademanteca, en tu lugar mantendría la leyenda. It´s funny!

j.a.varela

:o) mg said...

Happy birthday beautiful lady!

Tiziana said...

Cara Maria, il primo amore non si scorda mai.... a parte il suo nome.
AUGURI! AUGURI!
P.S. Mi immagino la faccia di tuo papà.

Soutenus said...

Happy Birthday!!!! And on the Feast of St Agatha. How wonderful!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday!!! Today is my hubby's birthday too...great day for one :)

And tooooo funny about Mr. "Butterball" :)

E said...

Happy Happy Birthday Bia. I am so glad to have met you in this bloggy world we share.
Your story reminded me of the time my boy Benjamin came home from fifth grade and said How Could You Guys Not Have Told Me?
They were studying the skeleton and his teacher had asked the kids for another name for the thigh bone...She must have been looking for femur and my sweet boy, raised his hand certain he knew the answer.
Chops he said proudly. We'd always kissed their legs when they were little saying we were getting their chops.
He was spitting mad.
Your dad was wise to wait to tell you....
Have fun tonight Ms Bia

Kim H. said...

Bia~

Happy Birthday! I liked you just slipped that in there so casually. I hope you have a special day and know I'll be saying an extra prayer just for you today!

And I think the whole Eric Butterball story is SO CUTE and I'll think it every time I make a turkey from here on out!

Hugs!

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday Bia, and Butterbaugh, butterball...it is still a cute little name!

Lisa said...

Oh, I can't believe I didn't stop by here yesterday and so missed out on THE actual day of your birth! Happy, happy birthday, (a little late)Bia! The world was made a better place 42 years ago yesterday!

(And, I can so understand thinking that Butterbaugh was Butterball! Perfectly understandable error!)