An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine Comedy

The Kids: What are we doing for family night?

Me: Oh, something for Valentine's Day. For dinner we'll have Chinese takeout...

The boys: What does Chinese food have to do with Valentine's Day?

Me: Nothing. But we'll eat it picnic-style on the family room floor.

The boys: What do picnics have to do with St. Valetine's Day?

Me: Nothing. But we'll watch a Valentine movie.

The boys: Yeah! Movie night. Which one?

Me: The most perfect movie for Valentine's Day...wait and see.

So, we set up our picnic, say our prayers, eat our Chinense food, and put on the Valentine movie...OUR WEDDING VIDEO!!!!!!

The Boys: What kind of movie is that?! (The best kind) How long is it? (Long enough to toruture you all night long) They had video cameras back then?! (Look. Just how old do you think we are?)

So we watched it. Little did I know our wedding video was such A COMEDY.

They laughed at Daddy with no goatee; at Uncle Dave (the Doctor) who did a reading and because he hadn't yet gone through puberty, his voice sounded like a baby's; at Nonna's curly hairdo; at the impromptu opera that was sung as we left the reception; at the getaway car, decorated to within an inch of its life; at the story of how someone dumped a cupful of crickets inside the car and how the chirping coming from the air conditioning vents serenaded us the entire time we were driving.

The best part for me, though, was when the four year old asked, "Is that you, Mommy? You look pretty."

But for some reason, his older brothers even thought that was funny.

Revenge is sweet though: the very minute any one of them gets engaged . . . out come the baby albums. So there.

14 comments:

Tiziana said...

Adesso capisci perchè non voglio assolutamene far vedere il mio album delle fotografie del matrimonio a NESSUNO!!!!!!!!

GrandmaK said...

In 1969 we didn't video tape the wedding, but indeed some of the still pics of our wedding look comedic. Somethings never change...And they too will experience these marvels in their own children...HEHEHEHE! Cathy

Bia said...

tizi,

sei riuscita a mettere una foto tutta da sola, o ti forze a aiutato la chiara? brava.

bacioni...

Tiziana said...

A casa mia non esistono foto del matrimonio da nessuna parte.
Io avevo un orribile cappello e Luciano sembrava più giovane di me.
Solo voi eravate bellissime.

Lisa said...

Awwww.... I wish we could see it. &:o) I'd give anything to have had a video of our wedding and reception, even though I know our kiddos would think it was hysterical, too.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

I would have given that 4-year-old extra chocolate!

Kathryn said...

What a fabulous ideas!!! The 4 year old did deserve some extra chocolate!!!

Kim H. said...

Oh my word, Bia, I LOVE IT! You guys have great ideas. I have to channel some of them, for sure. :)

The wedding video -- that's too much. But I loved the "you look pretty" comment the best. So precious.

My kids recently found my senior HS picture and they were all like "Mom, you hair was so.....so.....PUFFY!" And then they busted UP. But I did graduate in the 80's so I had the whole hair thing going on. And then they see pictures of their dad with more hair and they think he looks weird. It's so funny.

Hope you have a great week, honey.

Laura said...

Out of the mouths of babes...
My students see my wedding picture on my desk and always comment on how skinny I was.
Thanks...as I put a pop-tart in my mouth.

E said...

The birthing videos will really drive them mad....
Lovely Valentine's Bia...as always

Darla said...

Oh, what a good idea...show your wedding video on V Day. I should find ours and have the girls watch it. I think they would do the exact same....find it hysterically funny!!!

Soutenus said...

You just keep me smiling!
A wonderful Valentine's Day idea and a GREAT story! :-)

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh so funny, Bia! (and good for you for pulling out the video!)

(And thank you for the kind work wishes! It went GREAT...was even out in time to pick up the kids. :) )

Nancy said...

NICE!!! That little guy is so sweet :) LOVE the picnic of Chinese food ... sounds like the perfect Valentine's Day to me :)