An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A PG-13 Conversation with Nonna

My mother came over last night to watch the little guy. Jonathan was with my husband at a golf match, and I had to take Nicholas to a meeting at school.

As I was getting ready, I overheard the following conversation between my 14 year old and my mother:

Nonna: So, where are you going?
Nicholas: We're going to Family Honor at the school.
Nonna: You're such a good student. What award are you going to get?
Nicholas: Uh, Nonna, I don't think you understand . . .

pause, pause, pause

Nicholas: You see, Family Honor is about sexuality.

Nonna was speechless . . . only because she was laughing so hard.

Then she started asking a million questions . . . and then my son was the one who was speechless.

There are just some things you don't talk to Nonna about.

8 comments:

Therese said...

That is really funny! I am not looking forward to those "talks" up at school!

Laura said...

We didn't say the word sexuality in my house growing up...times are a changin'.

Bia said...

Laura,
I still can't say it . . . !

E said...

I really think I need to know Nonna's question...like NEED

Ua said...

Wow! I can just picture that. I'll bet Nicholas turned a bit red.

Deacon Matt said...

Mmmm Hmmm... 'tis the season. They're doing similar "meetings" at the grade school (K - 8) where I interned two years ago, and a number of parents are up in arms about it. I guess that means there are a lot of people who don't want to talk about it. Not entirely a bad thing, but it's important to teach kids the truth in a way that is faithful to the Church.

Lisa said...

Gasp. You said that word. &;o) It's a funny thing ~ I don't know if it's more about generations or personalities how shy someone is about that topic. ("that" topic) ~ One of my grandmothers would have been speechless with mortification, one of them would have left us speechless with mortification.

Anonymous said...

I am looking for the artist who made the illustration with the monkeys. Do you know who it is?

/Louise

Please reply on frk@louisealbers.dk