An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, April 27, 2009

The Accident

Yesterday at 4:33 p.m. I left my sister's house in Columbia, SC to drive home to Augusta, Ga. Timothy and I had gone up for my sister's baby shower.

At 4:34 p.m., as I was going around a traffic circle in their neighborhood, a car driven by a 16 year-old entered the very same traffic circle, failed to yield, and crashed into the front passenger side of my car.

It was a loud accident.

My van was shoved over a lane.

His SUV careened around the circle and crashed into the curb.

There was debris everywhere: bumbers, hubcaps, headlights, just . . . car pieces.

Timothy and I were shaken . . . but okay.

I ran over to the SUV and all four of them were shaken . . . but okay.

I called my brother-in-law, Patrick, and then I called 911. The dispatcher asked for location, and since my sister and brother-in-law had recently moved to this new house I didn't know anything . . . no street names, cross roads, or even the name of the neighborhood.

At this point a man pulled up asking if I needed any help. I had him give the 911 dispatcher the information. I thanked him and he drove off.

About an hour later Patrick and I were standing in the shade still waiting for the State Trooper, and that same man returned. He had noticed my out of state tags and thought Timothy and I could use some refreshments.

He handed me a bag of goodies. Inside was a cold can of Diet Coke, a can of Minutemaid orange, and three snack packs of oreos. Up until then I had been calm, but his simple kindness brought tears to my eyes.

And here's the neat thing. As he was walking up Patrick recognized him as a fellow Knight from another parish.

So . . . a Sunday afternoon car accident. But I'm okay. Timothy is okay. The teens in the other vehicle are okay. The van? Not so okay . . . but that's okay, too.

And this is what Makes my Monday: a wonderful brother-in-law who stood in the heat with me for several hours helping me with police reports, etc., and the thoughtfulness of a Good Samaritan with his gift of a cold Diet Coke on a hot Sunday afternoon.

11 comments:

Ua said...

Bia, I'm just so thankful that you and the little guy are OK! You came to give me support at the baby shower, and ended the day having to deal with THIS! Thanks for being such a great sister.

Love, Laura

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

All's well that ends well!

Tiziana said...

Maria, mi dispiace molto per il tuo incidente, ma anche in questo caso, non molto bello, sei riuscita a trovare il lato postitivo. Patrick e il Buon Samaritano sono state due persone speciali.
Spero che Timothy abbia superato lo spavento, l'importante รจ che non vi siate fatti male.

Laura said...

I love good samaritan stories..makes me want to BE ONE!!
So glad you are okay.
Traffic circles are crazy around here.
I can imagine that a 16 year old would get very confused in one.

Lisa said...

Oh, wow, Bia. I'm so glad everyone was alright! But, the Good Samaritan story brought tears to my eyes. The world is still good. (Traffic circles notwithstanding.)

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh Bia, thank goodness you all are okay!

And isn't it amazing that a "bad" experience" such as an accident can have a silver lining like seeing the good deeds and kindness of others?

Thank you for Making My Monday!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Wow, he IS a Knight!

You know what the Bible says, "Feed someone," or in the newest translations, "Give a stranger a diet Coke, " and you're feeding Jesus! He is truly doing the things God asks of us!

How wonderful of him.

Glad you're okay.

Missy said...

Wow! What a post! What a HUGE act of kindness! I wish there were more people in this world like him!
I am so glad you all were okay!

Kim H. said...

Bia,

I really am an emotional mess this week -- as I got all welled up over the Good Samaritan too. And like Laura said, it makes me want to be one! THANK GOD -- I gotta say it again -- THANK GOD no one was injured. Your guardian angels were working overtime.

And I'll leave my other thoughts about "round-about" at your other post.

Extra squeezy hugs this morning!!!

:o) mg said...

Just reading this.... hope you and Timothy are feeling less stiff and "skeered" each day.
Take it easy for the next few weeks.
xoxo

Wendy said...

Oh my! This, after my recent post about my love of roundabouts. I'm sure if I ever have an accident on one, my sentiments will forever be changed.

Thankful for your ultimate safety and thankful for the kind gentleman who ministered to your needs.