An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

No Roundabouts for Me, Thank You Very Much

Dear Dustin,

I was involved in that car accident with you this past weekend, and I hope that you and your friends are doing well. As for us, I'm a little sore (as I'm sure you can relate) and although my little one is a little clingy, he is getting plenty of attention from his older brothers.

The reason for this letter is to reassure you that things will be all right. I realize that dealing with police reports, insurance adjustors, and yes, even concerned parents is not fun, but you seem like a nice guy and maybe things like this happen to remind us of all the things in life that are really important.

In the meantime, we can be thankful for two things: that no one was injured, and that we don't live in England . . . over there they have traffic circles everywhere.

Sincerely,
Maria Novajosky

8 comments:

Laura said...

I go around a circle EVERY morning.
Some days it's terrifying.
That is a nice letter, Bia.

Lisa said...

We're getting more and more of them in Denver, and I can't figure out why. They're dangerous and everyone hates them!

But, 'splain somethin to me, Lucy... What did I miss? Who is Maria Novajovsky?

Kim H. said...

I never experienced a roundabout until I visited my friend Meghan in Boston a few years ago. I pretty much started shaking when I got one in my sight. And in Boston, no one slows down. Ever.

But thankfully Meggie is from Chicago and she can drive with the best of 'em, but let me tell you, there were a few times we had to circle the roundabout cause no one would let us over.

And yes, I too am glad I don't live in England. Although I'd have really great legs, because I'd probably ride a bike everywhere!

Anonymous said...

It was very nice of you, dear daughter, to send Dustin this letter of reassurance and incouragement. BRAVA, MOM

Tiziana said...

In Italia, con il traffico che c'è, stanno mettendo tantissime rotonde che eliminano tante code.
Penso che sia solo una questione di abitudine.
Hai scritto proprio una bella lettera a Dustin, penso che a sedici anni si ha proprio bisogno di rassicurazioni. Sei fantastica.

Nancy said...

Being from around Boston - I can confirm that we never slow down at the roundabouts....and it IS scary.

I'm glad that everyone is okay! What a great letter.

Missy said...

What a sweet letter! I feel that letters & thank you notes are losing their importance these days. You are such a sweet & thoughtful person!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

You are so thoughtful!

I hate roundabouts, we don't have them here, but when I visit the outlaws in Indy, I never know quite how to work my way through them.