An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I am a 40+ year old Hannah Montana Wanna-Be

Last weekend my sixth grader and some of his friends decided to go see Hannah Montana, the Movie. Why that movie? I have no earthly idea. Maybe it was because the group consisted of both boys and girls and this was one they could all agree on.

Since my son was the one who organized this outing, I told him that I was staying with the group as chaperone but that I promised to sit far, far, faaaaaaar away.

So, I went to the movies with a bunch of sixth graders who pretended not to know me.

But that was okay with me . . . after a while, I pretended not to know them because I so wanted to be Hannah Montana.

Suddenly, for two delightful hours I forgot I was a mom and a wife. I didn’t think about 8th grade graduation, school banquets, teachers’ gifts, carpooling here and there . . .

No, instead I wanted to pull out my guitar and play a folk song. I wanted to paint something. I wanted to create, and beautify, and design. I wanted to dance the Hoedown Throwdown.

It’s not that I was nostalgic (or at least, not much anyway), but I think the movie was a subtle reminder for me to just chill.

Lately there has been too much responsibilty and seriousness. Lately there has not been enough fun and silliness.

For Mother’s Day my son gave me the movie soundtrack containing links to access the lyrics and the dance video.

What’s for dinner?

I’m not really sure. But wanna dance the Hoedown Throwdown with me?

7 comments:

Julie said...

I'm up for some fun and silliness! Call me...

Tiziana said...

Anche se gli anni passano, certi sentimenti , sensazioni, romanticismi, desideri, speranze..restano chiusi nel nostro cuore, pronti ad uscire inaspettatamente come ai tempi dell'adolescenza.
Che bello! Il cuore non invecchia mai.

Laura said...

In "The Last Lecture" the main message is to have fun.
So have it.
Just do it.
Good for you.

Kathryn said...

I was completely uninterested in this movie until this post, now I HAVE to go see the HOedown Throwdown!!! Thanks for coming to see me at the blog, it was good to see you in the comments!!

E said...

Hi Bia,
I sent you an email at the Novajo address. I don't know whether that is still in use or not, but I wanted to thank you for your presence and comfort in this hard week.
I have loved getting to know you and your family and eventually we are just going to have to get you guys to vermont...E

Lisa said...

Good medicine! I love "escapist" movies. &:o)

Kim H. said...

Hilarious!!!

Your post reminds me of a time when my daughter wanted to see a movie one night at 10:30 pm. I told her there was no way I was leaving her at the theatre that late on her own.

So, I opted to see Juno (ALLBYMYSELF!) in the theatre next to the one she was in with her friends. I had a BLAST!!!

Thursday HUGS!!!