An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Making the Grade (or trying to)

The end of May. Finally. While at times it seemed the last 31 days flew by, in reality the month seemed to never end.

It was as if I were caught in a riptide . . . being pulled here . . . being pushed there. I never felt as if I were on terra firma.

And that's not a good feeling. Not at all.

But I do this to myself, and it's a mistake I make over and over . . . and yes, over again: I let the busyness of life take control, and when that happens, instead of me stepping forward to greet the day, I let it rush towards me in a frenzy and take over.

This is nothing new. I have been here before, and I know that the only solution is to be grounded in prayer . . . to be centered . . . to surrender it all. Only then can I live each day to its fullest.

It's a simple lesson, and you would think that I would have gotten it by now, but lately, in the classroom of my spirituality, my grade is a big, fat "F".

What's really sad is that I know I need my quiet prayer time. I know it. Really. So why don't I do something that I know is good for me? I still haven't come up with an answer for that one.

However, God is good because with today's lesson comes some added inspiration from Cathy over at A Bit of the Blarney who shares this quote:

Build yourself a cell in your heart, and retire there to pray.
-St. Catherine of Siena

So, I am given this lesson again . . . hopefully I won't have to be reminded for a while. But I am not discouraged because God, in His infinite patience and love, gives me the grace to want to try again.

And maybe, just maybe, that will get me an "A" for effort . . . or at least a "B+".

La Verna
Franciscan Monastery in the heart of Tuscany
where St. Francis received his stigmata


6 comments:

Laura said...

Amen.
I have been very grumpy and I have not gone out of my way for God.
My temper has flared lately too (with the students)
I am so ready for the school year to end.
I think I need a couple doses of daily Mass.
No question.
good post.

GrandmaK said...

Here it is the Feast of Pentecost and once again the Spirit has moved. I have been touched by YOUR post. It is good to know that I do not struggle alone. God bless you, my sister! He truly is good! Cathy

Tiziana said...

Molto bella la frase di Santa Caterina da Siena. Quello che hai scritto mi farà molto pensare.

:o) mg said...

You are not alone.

Lisa said...

This is a struggle for me, too. When things start to fall apart, I can always pinpoint it to that same thing. It's the body, mind, spirit connection, and that spirit part is the easiest to get lost in the daily whirl. But, you're right: it's the most important for keeping it all together. Thanks for the reminder. This is a great post.

Kim H. said...

I ALWAYS think May and September are the worst months of school, EVER!!! So many things crammed in. Frazzled and tired Mommies saying 'yes' too much. Kids that have "checked out"

Girl, I so hear you. Hang in there.

And coffee and chocolate always helps too! :)