An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, May 18, 2009

Room 404

8:30 p.m.

Dear Peter,
Shhh. Your Mommy is sleeping and your Daddy went home to take care of your brothers. I'm glad to have this chance to get know you; of course, I wish your Mom still wasn't so sick from a complicated cesarean. I wish she still wasn't in the hospital. But she's strong, and despite the vertigo, nausea, vomiting and extreme headache she still gathers her strength to feed you every 2-3 hours. And tonight, between those feedings, I've got you all to myself. So hello, I'm your auntie.

10:00 p.m.

Dear Peter,
Holding you over my shoulder is like holding a football with scrunched up arms and legs. Of course, at 10 lbs. 4 oz. you were born a linebacker. You had the hospital nursery scrambling to find clothes that fit you . . . all their onesies stretched across your chest like a muscle shirt. But I like chubby babies, and speaking of which, you're hungry, so let's go wake up Mommy.

10:37 p.m.

Dear Peter,
With your poor Mommy struggling, it's very nice of you to nurse so well and so quickly . . . your Mommy is already asleep again. Oh! Wow! That wasn't a burp. That was a belch worthy of any truck driver. I think you're going to fit in just nicely with all the boys in this family. Good job.

11:17 p.m.

Dear Peter,
Since your bilirubin is too high, and since your bassinet is equipped to provide you with phototherapy, in the darkened room you have become our night light. You are a blue, glowing ET.

midnight

Dear Peter,
I know it's already been two hours since you last ate, but let's see if we can give your Mom a little more time. Come here. I'm going to sit back like so, and you can curl on my chest. Do you hear my heartbeat? I can hear your soft breathing and I can hear your Mom's IV drip, but that's all. It's very quiet and peaceful. Times like this is when you can hear God whispering.

1:14 a.m.

Dear Peter,
You let your Mom sleep an extra hour; not only that, but you and I slept for another hour. Now, finally, let's get you fed.

5:11 a.m.

Dear Peter,
Thank you, my little nipote. All through the night and into the early morning hours this big, complicated world was reduced so that it was just you and me in Room 404. I am so glad we had this time together.

Bacioni,
Bia

9 comments:

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh Peter, what a wonderful aunt you have! :)

BLessings sweet boy....and Bia!

Soutenus said...

Ahhhhhh, that wonderful babymoon time. Isn't it wonderful you get to share in that time when time, itself, graciously, gracefully, miraculously seems to hold still?
Blessings to you and your new nephew and your whole family!

Kim H. said...

What a wonderful blessing this time is for each of you. Praying for Peter's Mommy and her speedy recovery. And oh my, a 10 pounder. WOW!

Tiziana said...

Questa notte sarà per te un ricordo meraviglioso, Peter è un bambino fortunato ad avere tante persone che gli vogliono così bene.
Spero che Laura stia bene in fretta, mi dispiace tanto per quello che le è successo. Avere un bambino non è mai una cosa semplice.
Forza Laura, ti vogliamo tutti bene.

GrandmaK said...

How beautifully tender and loving! What a wonderful aunt! God bless and keep you all!!! Cathy

Missy said...

Welcome to the world, Sweet Peter! Your Aunt is a sweetheart! And so glad you let your mommy sleep an extra hour! Can not wait to see a picture of you!

Shellie said...

That was just sweet. Welcome to the world, Peter!

PAOLA said...

Ciao Peter!! Benvenuto tra noi e che tu possa avere una bella e felice vita!!
Paola

Ua said...

Wow. I've finally gotten settled enough to read your blog, Bia, and I'm moved by your diary to Peter the night you helped us so much in the hospital. I can't begin to tell you how much it meant to us all - you gave Daddy a chance to spend the night at home with our other boys, you gave your devotion to baby Peter, and you gave me peace of mind knowing I could rest and recover while Auntie Bia took such good care of the new baby. Thank you for being the BEST sister in the world! Love, Ua