An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Antique Store

This past Saturday as we were leaving Helen in the late afternoon, we drove around a bend and there, nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, was an Antique Store.

Not just an ordinary antique store, but one in an old Victorian house. I smiled at my husband (whom I love very, very much) and despite facing a three hour drive home, he very graciously pulled over and parked.

When I entered, my heart went pitter-patter. Antiques everywhere . . . in every nook and every cranny. Antiques on all three floors. I could have spent hours in there, but my husband and three sons were waiting in the van, and I had ten minutes . . . fifteen at the most.

I worked fast, and there, on the second floor hidden behind an old ironing board, I found a three-legged corner table. I knew it would be perfect for the bare, sad corner just outside our downstairs powder room at home.

Here's the best part (and you might want to sit down for this): the price was $15, as is.

As is???? It was perfect!

So my husband (whom I love very, very much) climbed up to the second floor, moved a pile of antiques out of the way, carried my table downstairs, paid for it, and rearranged our suitcases so it would fit it in the back of the van.

Did I mention that I love my husband very, very much?

11 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Awwww, you have a sweet hubs!

E said...

I love him too and those patient boys are pretty great too.
What a nice surprise finding it was and what lovely people you are related to to recognize and rise to the moment....

Tiziana said...

Maria, mi fai proprio ridere di cuore, sei fantastica!
Molto bello il tavolino, Luciano starebbe con te ore in quel negozio.

:o) mg said...

And, though he may have already mentioned it, I'll bet he loves ou very, very much because you found such a bargain.

Holly said...

He's a keeper and the table is beautiful! Great find!

Darla said...

So pretty! I love antiques too! I just went to a garage sale with my hubby the other day that was filled with antiques and very uniques finds that the husband priced everything....to make sure they GO! I was in love with many tables and other lovely finds but unfortunately, our house is so FULL of people and stuff...that I didn't get much. And my husband, whom I love very, very much, let me pick out the few treasures that I just needed and nicely paid for them! :)

Kathryn said...

That is love!
What a great table and super find! I love antique store too, but never venture in them anymore, maybe I will after reading this!

Amy Jo said...

What a lovely find! (And the table's nice too!) :)

Lisa said...

Now this is one of my favorite things to do, hurried or not. Wha a great addition! Can't beat that price, either.

Shellie said...

That is awesome! Nice looking, great price, and great husband.

Wendy said...

It is a beautiful table and you have a wonderful skill for knowing how to highlight it. That certainly was a bargain!

We have my husband's grandmother's antiques here in this house and it makes me quake daily. My boys are very rough and tumble (i.e. DESTRUCTIVE) and have decreased the value on several pieces already. I love the ones that are hand-carved and show musical elements, but still ... yikes.