An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, June 22, 2009

Snippets

Timothy, it's time to go to bed.
(He ignores me, pulls out his toy cell phone and proceeds to dial.)
Who are you calling?
I'm calling God to see if he'll let me stay up.
pause pause pause
He said I could.
*******************************
Timothy, looking at a photo album and pointing.
Mommy, where are you?
I'm taking the picture.
Question repeated 534,857 times (it was a rather large album).

********************************
Jonathan, why are you going to bed so early?
I'm really tired.
He grins.
Besides, I need to replenish my body and soul.

**********************************
Timothy, you cannot say the word "idiot".
Nicholas and Jonathan say "idiot" all the time.
"Idiot is a bad word. The next time they say "idiot", come and tell me.
So, Nicholas can't call Jonathan an "idiot" and Jonathan can't call Nicholas an "idiot"?
That is right. There are no "idiots" in this house.
And I can't say "idiot", either.
Sigh.

Later, it dawned on me that during the course of that conversation we said "idiot" eight times. So who was the idiot, I ask you?

***********************************
Me, after Pablo celebrated his first Mass as a newly ordained priest:
God, I have three sons. Do you want one? I know they don't seem "priestly" right now, but maybe in time...?

9 comments:

Damiano e Irene said...

Il nostro prete quando si celebrano le comunioni prega sempre che qualche bambino abbia la Vocazione a prete o suora... e tutti ridacchiano al solo pensiero!! Nessuno può sapere cosa farà nella vita... è un bellissimo mistero... chissà quale sarà il nostro!! Un abbraccio

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

What she said...

Missy (Two Little Monkeys) said...

Too funny! I love the idiot one!

Tiziana said...

Adoro Timothy, è troppo simpatico.
Millie, spera che almeno Peter diventi un sacerdote perchè gli altri sei grandi sono troppo birichini. Io invece penso che la loro vita sia ancora tutta da scrivere.

Lisa said...

I'm sayin the same thing with my boys. In perspective, my son who's entering the seminary in September was THE goofiest little kid you can imagine. In fact, he's still pretty goofy...

GrandmaK said...

This is soooooo very gooood and FUNNNNNNY! Thank you for putting a smile on my face! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

When I went to Catholic church, the goofiest priests were the easiest to relate to.

That's a side note...Aren't you have a place to record all these tidbits? They are only a portion in value of what they will be some day. Oh, and don't be hard on yourself, you weren't calling any an idiot, you were suggesting non-idiotic parameters!

Chiara said...

hahaha!!! troppo forte Timithy!!! secondo me, facciamo una bella coppia io e lui!!! =) ciaooooooo!!

E said...

Love these...
Bia would it make you happy if one of your sons were called to be a priest? We have a friend with a fourteen year old son seems to be thinking about becoming a priest. Their religion is deeply important to them and their sense of family and yet she is terribly sad.
She think it will be such a hard life.
This boy is also delightfully goofy but also so good. He somehow already seems like a priest and he always has.
And yet his gentle loving mother is very sad about it all....I am wondering how it seems to you