An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Way It Is

dusting
cleaning
washing baseboards
wiping ceiling fans
rearranging furniture
hanging pictures
yardwork

Why? Because my aunt, uncle, and cousin will be arriving from Italy next week. The fact that they are staying at my parents house and that, after two days, we are all going to a rented beach house together (thus leaving our own house empty for a week) has not stopped the cleaning frenzy. This is how I was brought up.

Family Visiting from Italy = Massive House Cleaning

I know (and I do really, really know) that no one will be looking for dust bunnies under the refrigerator...but still.

You see, it's all about La Bella Figura. My Nonna taught me well.

2 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

My husband was raised to clean the house every Saturday in case company came. They never did, but he still cleans like a perfectionist every Saturday. At least we have people over often!

Tiziana said...

Non so se devo ridere, ma anche a me succede la stessa cosa. Quando viene qualche parente,
faccio con entusiasmo anche quelle cose che di norma non mi piacciono.
Comunque, non preoccuparti, sicuramente non guarderemo sotto il frigorifero o da qualche altra parte, a noi interessa solo rivedervi e passare con voi quelli che saranno sicuramente dei bellissimi giorni di vacanza.
A presto....e basta pulire mi raccomando.