An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, September 25, 2009

Cloudy with a Chance of Irritation

My husband, who is an engineer by profession, has a secret passion for the weather.

He likes to read the weather forecast not only locally, but around the globe.

During a storm he stands on our front porch and studies the direction the clouds are moving.

When the boys were younger I had to ban him from making certain comments during a thunderstorm such as Wow! That was a close one! Or, This is tornado weather...do we have some flashlights?

At his work they have a very sophisticated radar, and he will call me throughout the day with updates: Get ready, a storm is going to hit you in about two minutes. Or, There's a break in the weather. Do you see the sun?

He is amazingly accurate, and truthfully, I never, ever read the weather forecast...I just ask my husband.

Not only does he like weather predictions, but he loves past forecasts. Yes, I said forecasts from the past.

This morning:

Did you know that on this exact day ten years ago Augusta had a record low temperature of 42 degrees?

He glances at me expectantly when I say nothing.

You don't remember, do you? (He has an accusatory look.)

I continue to sip my cappuccino, not really knowing how to answer that.

I mean, I ask you, would you remember something like that? Cielo Santo!

10 comments:

Tiziana said...

Mi hai fatto proprio ridere!!!
Non ci posso credere!! Maria, ma come non puoi ricordarti di una data così importante mentre bevi il cappuccino?

UA said...

Ha, ha, ha! That's right along the lines with him reading statistics encyclopedias (if there is such a thing)! Does he have an almanac?

Kim H. said...

Can you ask him if this rain cloud that's been over Memphis for two weeks is going to leave anytime soon. For real. I'm so over it!

Friday HUGS!!!

GrandmaK said...

What is it with men and weather? My dad had his barometer. He swore by it. Ron watches the weather channel allllllll the time! It must be in the genes! Have a grand weekend. Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

If the date was in my lifetime, I try to remember it, but I never do.

Oh, except once when it was 70 degrees on Thanksgiving. That was memorable (remember now, I live in Northern IL!)

Shellie said...

I don't even remember the weather here yesterday. Cielo Santo, amen!

Lisa said...

How funny! My brother is the same way -- and amazingly accurate. They're handy fellows to have around, if a bit annoying the way they can remember things. It's uncanny.

Michelle said...

Juan and Joe would be best buddies! Juan absolutely loves the weather. As a matter of fact, the FIRST thing he does when he gets home every day from school is he gets online to check the weather. *sigh*

Laura said...

My man relaxes with the weather channel.

Kathryn said...

I have some little men that are that into the weather as well. It can get rather hysterical listening to them "scientifically" predict our next winter...or even next weeks weather!
Great post!