An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Capturing Moments

An early weekday morning . . . it's dark and the little one is sleepy . . .
I sit in a kitchen chair as he stands in front of me . . . I help him get ready for school . . . I tuck in his shirt, fasten his belt, brush his hair . . . his face is inches from mine . . . I breathe him in . . .

Leaving the Reconcilation service with my oldest son . . . talking about his confirmation next week . . . stopping at Wendy's . . . delighting in the fact that right now, in this moment, we are in a state of grace . . . we are angels sipping vanilla frosties

In an attempt to get my middle son to read more, I propose we read a book together . . . he is skeptical . . . he's not convinced . . . I read the first chapter of The Outsiders to him . . . he has a reluctant grin on his face . . . he likes Ponyboy

You must live in the present,
launch yourself on every wave,
find your eternity in each moment.
-Henry David Thoreau

5 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Absolutely the most touching post!!! I could feel the LOVE!!!! Grand day to you!!! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

I still love that book. I remember watching the movie after Mac read it, and we both wept.

What's to dislike about Ponyboy. I believe he stayed Gold.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Thinking, though the stack by my bed is actually three...I'm going to add that one to my Mount TBR--to be read list...and soon.

Memories...

Tiziana said...

Leggendo la tua mail ho avuto l'impressione di essere lì con te e di vivere quei momenti così belli, intimi e familiari.
Grazie per avermi fatto provare queste emozioni.

Kathryn said...

Awesome post and I'm not adding The Outsider and RumbleFish to my read aloud likst, great idea!