An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Little Help From My Blogging Friends

My son's confirmation is next week, and as a gift we are giving him seven books with themes representing the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. For example, for the gift of Right Judgement/Counsel we selected Harper Lee's book To Kill a Mockingbird.

We have already thought of a few books, but I thought I'd ask you for suggestions. What books (any genre) would you suggest to represent the following:

Wisdom in order to see God at work in our lives and in the world.

Understanding to know how we need to live as follower of Christ.

Right Judgement/Counsel to know the difference between right and wrong.

Courage/Fortitude to stand up for what is right in the eyes of God.

Knowledge to know oneself and to know God.

Piety/Reverence for a deep sense of respect for God and the Church.

Fear of the Lord (awe of God) to recognize our all powerful God.


(BTW, I got this idea a while ago from our Catholic Teacher Extraordinaire, Laura, and filed it away to use later...so, thanks Laura!)

7 comments:

Tiziana said...

Purtroppo io non ti posso aiutare ma sono sicura che avrai delle bravissime amiche che ti suggeriranno i libri giusti.
E' una bellissima idea, peccato che Chiara abbia giĆ  fatto la cresima.
Vi auguro una bellissima cerimonia.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

For Understanding: Jesus With Dirty Feet, the first chapter is all about Jesus saying, "follow me."

http://ellieisanewthing.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-10-01T00%3A01%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=1

You can try to check it out. It's a slim volume, but so strong and good.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me I guess that means I am lurker but I am a second grade teacher in a Catholic school and I couldn't resist putting in my two cents worth. I often give A Story Like the Wind and A Far Off Place for Confirmation gifts. If you aren't familiar with them they are by Lauren VanderPost. I love them and I think they could fit for Courage/Fortitude. They are a good story about a 13 year old boy coming in age in Africa in the mid 20th century. Anyway as I said I couldn't resist my 2 cents worth as I so love the books.

Bia said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for "de-lurking"! I have not read either of these books, but tomorrow I am headed to the library and bookstore...

Second grade teachers totally rock...not only do you teach subjects, but you help prepare our little ones for First Communion.

Thanks again for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

If you end up reading the books let me know what you think - my boys loved them. You are right second grade is so fun in so many ways but the best part is 1st Communion. Jill
pmeade3800@aol.com

Kathryn said...

For Wisdom: The Trilogy of the Ring or The Hobit...there is an underlying theme of wisdom, trust, and preserverence that I believe has strengthened my own boys reliance on God in their lives. These books are full of adventure, but also full of an overwhelming understanding of God, need for wisdom etc...(some may not see it that way, but in our house the books became spring boards for several deep discussions and wisdom was one of the themes of these discussions)
For Understanding:
I think the story "Joshua" (fiction) is a wonderful telling of how to live as a follower of Christ.
For Knowledge:
"The Story of St. Therese', The Little Flower" even for a boy this is a wonderful way to show knowing oneself and knowing God.
For Piety/Reverence:
St. John Vianney, anything about him or by him...some of his sermons are not too hard for a confirmation candidate and his biography is a wonderful disply of respect for God and the church.
Fear of the Lord: I really believe the Narnia books are great fiction for understanding and recognizing our "All Powerful God".

Amanda said...

I was going to suggest the Chronicles of Narnia too, but I see that Kathryn beat me to it. She's so smart! ;)

You could probably use a few different Narnia books to meet a few different themes. I can't remember details of the books, but maybe The Silver Chair would be a good one for right judgement/counsel (althought it is kind of a scary book for young kids). Wisdom - Prince Caspian? Sorry, I need to re-read the series!