An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, October 26, 2009

An Offer We Can't Refuse

My husband has always been a fan of the Godfather movies . . . and that was even before he married into my Italian family. Of course, my family is from northern Italy, so no Don Corleone or mafia connections for us.

But a few years ago my parents met and became friends with a group of second generation Italian-Americans who moved here from New York, and it is through them we get out Godfather fix. Their relatives were originally from southern Italy, so when you take their Italian heritage, mix it with a little Sicilian and Neopolitan history, stir in a strong sense of family, and then add that New York flair . . . you have the makings for a great party.

This was the third year in a row that Joe and I, along with the boys, were invited to a pig roast hosted by an Italian-American couple whose family is orginally from Naples. The party took place in their home, which offers plenty in the way of entertainment: a full-sized bocce court, two fire pits (one perfect for roasting marshmallows, the other for roasting an entire pig), and an entertainment room complete with a large screen television, a pool table, and a state-of-the-art wine cellar where they bottle their own vino rosso.

This year's pig roast included a live band, Italian pastries from a New York bakery, and a 20 lb. block of torrone in which great chunks were hacked off with a hammer and chisel and passed out to the guests. (I may have been responsible for eating 12.2 of that 20 lb block . . . but we won't go there.)

Here's the serendipitous thing: the husband's name is Don (my husband and I secretly call him the Don), and after last weekend's party my husband and I are planning to watch all three Godfather movies this weekend.

In the words of Don Corleone: Capisci?

9 comments:

GrandmaK said...

OH my goodness the food sounds oh so wonderful!!!!! UMMMMM! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

I have never watched any of The Godfather movies, but I had a friend who was a nut for them. We were at a church class together once, and the "new guy" to the class had The Godfather theme as his ring tone. Immediately kindredness!

My first husband, long ago, has family members with connections. He doesn't admit to that now, but he thought it funny back in the day.

After watching The Don trilogy, you should watch "The Freshman" with Matthew Broderick.

Damiano e Irene said...

We watched the Godfather here in Canada for the first time. We liked the movie a lot! The weird thing was to listen to Marlon Brando or other american actors when they said some italian words!! Sometimes we coudn't understand :-)
... oh, and the captions on the screen were wrong as well!!

Tiziana said...

Abbiamo avuto anche noi la fortuna di conoscere quella coppia. Sono persone veramente gentili e il loro vino è buonissimo.
In Italia del sud il problema della mafia è ancora grande, proprio oggi, in Puglia, è stato ucciso un altro "padrino"...capito???

Kathryn said...

Enjoy those movies, we really love them and Goodfellas too. What a great party, sounds like a great feast, good people, great fun!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness. Now this IS too much fun! My husband, sons, and all my brothers love the Godfather -- but I have to admit, I can't get throught the first fifteen minutes before I lose interest. Do most women enjoy those movies as much as men, you think? None of my sisters like them, either, so I'm wondering...

Martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha said...

hi maria..I am Martha, my mum has told me to read your new post on Godfather because she knows that I go crazy for that films. I know the whole memory film, from the first one to the last one..and I adore them.. then I share some the passion of Joe.. :) a big kiss to the whole family..

Bia said...

Ciao, Martha! Yes, we love these movies . . . I bet it would be very interesting to see them in Italian, though. Bacioni a tutti.

P.S. When is the new Twilight movie coming out in Italy? The big premier here is November 20 (maybe we'll take Dami and Irene to see it when they come?).