An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, December 3, 2009

It began with a wooden star

This year I decided to change our fireplace mantel for Christmas. I knew I wanted it to be woodsy, with greens, browns and reds, and that I wanted it to feel welcoming.

So, I started with a small, red star and decided to make it the focal point in a giant frame.

But, with 10-ft ceilings I needed a big frame. What to do?

Amazingly, I found an ugly, ugly painting with a damaged frame in the clearance bin at Bed, Bath & Beyond (really, with a coupon it was practically free). Using wood filler and black paint, I fixed the corners of the frame and covered the ugly, ugly painting with burlap.

My Dad (a very talented carpenter) cut out a larger, wooden star out of plywood, which I painted brown.

I centered the stars (embellished with greenery and a burlap ribbon) within the frame, placed my topiaries from last year on each side, hung up our stockings...there...done.

Now, on to baking, shopping, wrapping...

5 comments:

Laura said...

That looks terrific!!!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Inspired!

Therese said...

How beautiful!

Tiziana said...

Non hai mai pensato di lavorare come arredatrice? Saresti davvero bravissima, hai molta fantasia e creatività.
Domanda: "E' per te la calza più piccola appesa al camino?" (eh! eh!)

GrandmaK said...

Very nicely done!!! Cathy