An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Breakfast in a Cup

Last Sunday we stopped to get gas on the way home from church. My sons noticed an advertisement for breakfast in a cup, and they thought it the coolest idea ever.

Now, let me say right here and now that we are a cereal-granola-yougurt-fruit for breakfast kind of family. On weekends we might have muffins, but for the most part we get a good portion of our fruit, whole grains, and dairy servings for the day with this one meal.

The thought of breakfast in a cup -- scrambled eggs mixed with sausage pieces, all served in a leeching styrofoam cup with a plastic spoon -- made my skin crawl. And the fact that it was cooked and served in a gas station gave me indigestion.

I mean, ewwwww. Yuck.

But the boys talked about breakfast in a cup all. day. long. At noon, they suggested returning to the gas station and having breakfast in a cup for lunch. The subject came up again at dinner. Really, I was starting to feel like a mean, bad mommy.

So, this morning the boys came down to this...

Breakfast in a Cup, (the Mom version)

9 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Looks so tasty after my rice checks and fiber muffin.

Sigh. I'm at school now. Time for my breakfast in a cup, Dannon light and fit yogurt.

However, I did grab a breakfast lean pocket for lunch! Ah, something to look forward to!

Have a great day,
ellie

Ua said...

YUM!! Did you good the stuff, then put it in the mugs? That's cheating. There has to be a way to actually COOK the stuff in the mug...

Tiziana said...

Uh! Uh! Maria, poveri ragazzi!! Che triste "the Mom version"!!!
Vuoi paragonare la tua colazione in una tazza con quella cotta e servita in una stazione di servizio?
Chissà che olio avranno adoperato per friggere le uova..mi viene però un terribile dubbio!!!!

Kim H. said...

Ur the best Mom EVAH!!! :)

Tuesday HUGS!!!

Lisa said...

Yay for Mom! You took a good (well, at least unique) idea and made it a good thing. Don't tell my kids about this, though. Really. They'll be just as crazy about the idea, I'm sure...

GrandmaK said...

Your idea is much more appetizing!!! Pretty innovative! Cathy

Kathryn said...

Oooh, that warms my heart! I bet the LOVED it. How awesome is that!

Soutenus said...

Awesome! Now for dessert . . .
Cake in a Cup

Sharon said...

I'm sure you're breakfast in a cup tasted way better than what they would have gotten at the gas station! :)