An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, January 28, 2010

An Early Morning

This morning I got up early . . . very early. One minute I was asleep, and the next I was totally wide awake.

And excited about something.

But I didn't know why.

I put on my powder blue flannel nightshirt that, because it is over-sized and reaches to my ankles, I wear as a robe. My mother-in-law made me that nightshirt, and if there were a word whose definition included warm/comfort/love/home, all rolled into one, it would be my nightshirt.

Walking downstairs, I felt the excitement of children on Christmas morning seconds before they round the corner to storm the family room and see what Santa brought.

I went outside to get the newspaper.

In the middle of the driveway, in my over-sized flannel nightshirt, I gloried in the crisp, cool, fresh morning air.

I gazed at the midnight blue-black sky, liberally sprinkled with stars as far as the eye could see.

The streetlight cast a light so gentle that it was like a whisper.

I marvelled at the stillness of it all.

And I had one of those moments . . . you know, the kind that come out of no where.

The kind of moment that isn't planned, or thought out, or cluttered with the craziness of life.

The kind of moment that is a gift so pure it simply requires you to reach out and take hold of it.

The kind of moment that makes you happy, gloriously happy, that you are alive.

No wonder I had been excited.

9 comments:

Tiziana said...

Cara Maria, hai fatto vivere anche a me un momento bellissimo!!
GRAZIE!!

Ua said...

Beautiful, Bia!

Lisa said...

Oh, Bia, I know exactly what you're talking about. You wish you could bottle it, but if you did it would't be the same. Unexpected gifts are the best.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

I remember having one of those at night once.

Thanks for the memory!

JAM said...

I love how you captured the essence of the moment so beautifully ... I felt like I was right there enjoying it with you!

Wendy said...

All I can utter is ... beautiful!

GrandmaK said...

What a wonderfully descriptive scene you have painted. I am there with you, though it be a day late. (Have no idea how I missed soooo many post yesterday but I did!) Wising you well!! Cathy

Soutenus said...

I remember moments like this in Pennsylvania on the farm. *sigh*
:-)
You described it so beautifully!

Sarah Lynn said...

I was directed to your blog by Ellen, and some of the comments that you made on her posts . . . : )

Moments like these are those that remind me of the good in my life, and sort of make me center myself, if you will. The way you described your moment was great!

I'm so glad I found your blog!