An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Embracing Something New

Last year at this time I started a new tradition: instead of making a list of resolutions, I would pick one word to live by for the coming year. Last year's word was embrace.

I selected that word because I wanted to teach myself to embrace moments...to love a moment in the present without borrowing from the past or looking to the future. For me, it meant savoring a moment in real time.

After living with the word for a year, I learned that embracing a moment leaves no room for anxiety, or regret, or even stress.

This year, after a few days of soul searching, I finally selected a phrase that (and this is a little embarrassing) I heard in the Twilight sequel, New Moon: "Learn to love what's good for you."

Removed from the context of the movie, I realized that I could apply this to my life on so many different levels.

Physically, this means that every time I choose to walk, run, lift weights, or eat a healthy meal then I am loving what is good for me.

Emotionally, when I love, forgive, or show compassion, then I am loving what is good for me.

Spiritually, when I choose to find the time to pray, read something inspiring, or see the good in others then I am loving what is good for me.

Intellectually, when I appreciate a good book, listen to good music, or create something artistic then I am loving what is good for me.

So this year my goal is this: not simply learn to do what is good for me, but learn to love what is good for me.

It's an idea I think I'll embrace.

10 comments:

Cheryl Lage said...

Do it, Bia! Love your intent for 2010....embrace it all, Sister!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Twilight, "snicker."

But I love the idea!

Tiziana said...

Imparare ad amare cos'è buono per me. Bellissima frase che ricorderò spesso anch'io durante questo nuovo anno. Grazie Maria.

P.S.: A chiara piace tantissimo Twilight.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Okay, still letting my A.M. snicker stand, my sign off on my personal email, "Hope dies last," comes from...


Dawson's Creek.

I never watched it, but was flipping channels whilst on a Mexico vacation (not to be confused with a Mexico mission trip, those came later), and the current Mrs. Tom Cruise said it. It stuck with me.

So, you have your Twilight, and I have my Dawson's Creek. Inspiration comes from the most unusual places, no?

GrandmaK said...

Really like your new look!!! Wishing you a grand day and there is an extension of the Holiday for you at my post. My best! Cathy

Lisa said...

The blog design is beautiful -- and so you! And your theme for the year is, too. Perfect.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.