An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...ignore the instruction manual

Now, I consider myself an intelligent person. I speak three languages. I read up on world news. I may not be good in math (a teeny, tiny understatement), but I can follow instructions and put together a Lego set containing 760 pieces.

But this three shelf bookcase from Target took me almost three hours to put together.



THREE HOURS.

And I was on Step One for half that time.

The problem? A horrible instruction manual (all 15 pages of it) accompanied by very bad illustrations.

But I perservered and put that darn thing together.

And I think it looks very nice in my new office space.

6 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Indeed, it looks very nice!!!! Very nice office space!!! Love the shade of green for your walls! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

What a girlie little corner! I love it.

Good for you for sticking to the project. When Mac was little, my mom came home with a Little Tykes elephant slide. I remember how we toiled over putting it together, but we were so proud when we finished.

Accomplishment!

A few years back, I had a student in my room who had severe learning issues, but when I bought some shelves at the end of the year, he was the leader of a crew that put them all together. At the same time I think Lego would have frustrated him.

Strange how the brain works, eh?

:o) mg said...

I love how it is just feminine enough not to offend any of the men in your life. I suspect moms of all boys have to walk a thin line. You did very well. '
Good luck keeping it that uncluttered.

Tiziana said...

15 pagine di istruzioni??
Comunque, Maria, ne รจ valsa proprio la pena, hai fatto un bellissimo lavoro, complimenti, mi piace tantissimo come arredi la tua casa.

Lisa said...

It does look lovely; simple and elegant. And worth the trouble! I hate those danged instructions -- they're almost always terrible. I usually just go by the pictures -- or make my sons do it.

Christopher said...

I hate instruction manuals too.