An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Taken by Surprise

Yesterday I heard two men talking outside the kitchen window, and when I looked out I discovered it was just my husband and my eldest son.

My son?!? That's the deep voice I heard?!

While we've noticed that his voice has indeed been deepening, it still catches us by surprise.

Of course, it also catches my son by surprise. He has no control over a voice that hasn't quite made up its mind what it wants to do, and the pitch changes from minute to minute.

Last night Nicholas answered the phone.

"It's for you," he whispered, as he handed it to Joe. A slight hesitation, then he added furiously: "They thought I was Mom. "

Oh, dear.

***************************************

P.S.

Oh, and he's also driving . . .

and this is not his convertible. It belongs to Nana & Papa who were visiting from Virginia Beach and bravely offered to let him drive it around.

7 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

My 12-year-old's voice dropped an octave almost overnight. Incredible.

:o) mg said...

I have a friend who swears that when they start getting mistaken for their mom on the phone, baritone is right around the corner.

Darla said...

Oh my gosh, I haven't been over here for so long! I went back on your old posts and read and read..I haven't been blogging much lately..just started again actually so am trying to get caught up on all my favorite haunts. So fun to get back over here! :)

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

I remember both happening with my son, man then mistaken for mom...

Too funny!

Tiziana said...

Mi sono fatta proprio una bella risata (mi immagino la faccia di Nicholas al telefono). Comunque devo dire che sta diventando proprio un bel ragazzo e fa un figurone alla guida della macchina.
Ciao Nicholas!!!!

Chiara said...

nooooo!!! anch'io voglio guidare!!! Nicholas ti invidio tanto, tanto, tanto!!!

Christopher said...

that scared me for a second. I thought he got a convertible!! sheesh.