An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How Do You Say Goodbye?

Today my brother-in-law, under the advice of his doctors, accepted the fact that his body cannot withstand another round of chemotherapy. He and his wife (my husband's sister) have now embarked on a new journey of decisions: how, who, what, where . . . without knowing when.

But in the midst of the tears, and phone calls, and conversations back and forth is God's grace of acceptance . . . and a love that is greater than anything.

But it still hurts, and saying goodbye is still so hard.

8 comments:

Therese said...

Bia-I am praying for you all. When the decision was made with my Dad, it was so hard...many, many prayers!

Soutenus said...

Oh Bia!
I add my prayers . . . .
Peggy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

How do say good-bye? Tell him the things you most want him to know.

My mom died without warning, my father had cancer for three years. While both ways were tough, by the time my dad died, we had both said our piece and it was good.

Prayers for you all.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers and thoughts are with with Joe`s family. May God help them to go through these very sad and difficult moments and find comfort in the knowledge that Jesus is with them every step of the way.
Nonna Massimilla

GrandmaK said...

Our prayers for you and your family. We have all traveled your road and it is never smooth! There is nothing painless about it and my heart aches for you! My prayers!!!! Cathy

Tiziana said...

Questa mattina presto ho letto il tuo blog e presa dalla tristezza non me la sentivo di scriverti. Mi sono tornate in mente tutte le sofferenze, le angosce e i pianti silenziosi che abbiamo fatto quando ci hanno detto che la nostra nonna aveva pochi mesi di vita. Lei non lo sapeva e perciò tutti noi dovevamo farle passare le ultime settimane nel miglior modo possibile.
Il destino ha voluto che fossi io accanto a lei quando è morta e dopo un attimo di profondo smarrimento, prima l'ho accarezzata e subito dopo ho aperto le finestre perchè la sua bella anima salisse più velocemente possibile nel'azzurro del cielo.

Bia said...

Oh, Tizi. Cara Nonna . . . a volte sembra imposibile.

Grazie per parlare di quei momenti.

Lisa said...

Oh, so hard. So hard. My aunt just made the same decision -- and has put it in GOd's hands. It is all His, life and deaf, anyway. Our prayers during this difficult time for your family, Bia.