An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Before You Know It

This morning my son, Nicholas, and I were up early, and with the rest of the family still sleeping we decided to go out for a driving lesson.

And get some donuts for breakfast.

Every Sunday afternoon for the past three months my husband has taken Nicholas out driving, but this was my first time to be in the car with him. He was a little nervous; I was curious.

He drove out of our neighborhood.

Speed up, I said helpfully.

We came to a red light, and chatted while we waited for the light to change. He turned left on a green arrow.

Speed up, I said.

The irony of my words struck me. I thought how life, especially when it comes to our children, seems to speed along much too quickly: from toddler, to teen, to young adult...seemingly overnight.

I did some Math: next year he'll be driving by himself, in two years we start visiting campuses, in three years he'll be going to college.

Three years goes by in a hearbeat.

I glanced over at him and felt reassured. Yes, he was becoming a young man, but he was still there...my awkward teen. He had major bedhead (after all, it was 7a.m. on a Sunday morning), he was sitting on a pillow (my husband's car sits very low), and he still has braces. I also remembered how he fumbled and dropped the car keys getting into the car.

My heart did a flip-flop.

We purchased the donuts, and he turned out of the parking lot to head back home.

Speed up, I said.

Slow down, was what I meant.

7 comments:

Tiziana said...

Come ti capisco Maria. Il tempo passa davvero in fretta e anche Chiara sta diventando grande troppo velocemente. Anch'io, per altri motivi, dico a Chiara di andare, ma in realtà, dentro il mio cuore penso:"Resta, resta ti prego".
Nella cameretta di Damiano ho ancora appesa una bellissima poesia che mi ha regalato più di trent'anni fa Millie che dice:
"God made a world out of his dreams,
Of magic mountains, oceans and streams,
Prairies and plains and wooded land,
Then paused and thought, "I need someone to stand
On top of the mountains, to conquer the seas,
Explore the plains and climb the trees,
Someone to start out small and grow,
Sturdy, strong like a tree and so,
He created boys, full of spirit and fun,
To explore and conquer, to romp and run,
With dirty faces, banged up chins,
With courageos hearts and boyish grins.
When He had completed the task He'd begun
He surely said, "That's a job well done". unknown

Sono anni che spolvero questo quadretto e sono anni che Damiano ha preso la sua strada ma, ti dico sinceramente, che non mi sono ancora abituata e che un pizzico di malinconia è ancora nel mio cuore.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

Sweet, like so many of your posts.

GrandmaK said...

Time does fly by! Cherish the moments!!! Cathy

anonymous educator said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

=sigh= Yes. I know this feeling.

Ua said...

Wow, Bia, that made me cry.

Dianne Kohler said...

Just another reminder to us about reveling in the moments we have with them because time does fly by so fast.
Am realizing this more & more theses days as I watch the changes in Stephen & Kelsey and we face the weddings of our 2 older daughters.
Thanks for sharing and reminding me!