An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Suitcase

When we were planning our first family trip to Italy three years ago, my husband and I knew we would need a set of luggage. With a family of five (including a two-year-old) it was time to say goodbye to our college suitcases and duffle bags and invest in a sensible, sturdy set of luggage.

We did a lot of research and, believe it or not, our first priority (in addition to wheels . . . we definitely wanted luggage with wheels) was color because under no circumstance (said my husband, who travels regularly) would we buy black luggage.

So, we bought a light green set: one large, two medium and one small. We rolled that luggage through airports, stored them on trains, stuffed them in rental cars, and spotted them very easily on the baggage carousel among all the other black suitcases.

Next month we are going to Italy again, and I have been re-thinking our luggage situation. What I really wanted to do is not even bring the large one and instead purchase two smaller pieces so everyone can have their own.

But what to do with the large one? We only used it once and I was feeling a little guilty about not wanting it anymore.

Then I got a call from Sister. She is graduating May 15 and has received a scholarship to continue her studies in Texas for her master's degree in social work. I was so happy for her, and in discussing her graduation I asked if there was anything she needed. She was hesitant, but . . .

Guess, just guess, what she answered?

Yes, her small, tattered suitcase has finally fallen apart, and she had been praying for a large suitcase. One with wheels . . . one that has a working zipper . . . one that can carry all her belongings back to Tanzania next year.

One . . . just like ours.

Tomorrow I am sending her the suitcase . . . and I just know she is going to like the color.

8 comments:

Soutenus said...

Great story - I love how God seems to intervene not only in the big stuff but also in the details!
Bia, where is TX? I am close to Houston . . . .

Soutenus said...

I meant to say, "Where IN Texas," LOL!

Tiziana said...

Suor Gaudenzia è proprio fortunata ad avere degli amici come voi. Dopo il biglietto aereo per poter passare con voi le feste natalizie, adesso le potete regalare la grande valigia che proprio le serviva.
Pensate che bei viaggi farà questo vostro bagaglio. Accompagnerà suor Gaudenzia in Texas (sono proprio contenta che possa fare il master) e poi chissà dove in Tanzania.
Quando la sentite, salutatela da parte mia e ditele che la penso con molto affetto.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

There is no such thing as a coincidence! So wonderful!

Lisa said...

Now, ya know how this happened, don't you? God said, my sweet girl needs a suitcase -- and I know who has one! And the thought was in your head. I love matches made in heaven!

Ua said...

That's amazing, Bia!

GrandmaK said...

I have a suitcase like that. We only used it to our trip to England. Good for you!! Cathy

Christopher said...

yup, definetly a coinsidence. unless she saw it and really wanted it.