An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Home Again

This morning, as I begin the process of unpacking, a folded piece of paper falls out of one of my tour books. It is a receipt for two bottled waters and four gelatos purchased at a gelateria in Piazza Navona. I study the receipt and think: I ate a gelato while walking in Piazza Navona.

This sense of wonderment is something I experienced often during our three weeks in Italy. Standing in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius, or in the middle of St. Peter's Square, or under the oculus in the Pantheon I wasn't so much struck by the beauty of it all as I was by the fact that I was there . . . physically there.

Then, at night when I reviewed the day's adventures and thought about walking around the ruins of Pompeii, or about all the modes of transportation we took to get to the island of Capri (train, boat, funicular), or about our horse carriage ride through the ancient woods of the Royal Palace in Caserta, I often wondered: Did we really do that?

Traveling in a foreign country is an adventure, and every day we headed into the unknown armed only with a map, some guidebooks, and a spirit of adventure.

I smooth out the receipt and smile. I had a gelato while walking in Piazza Navona.

4 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

I'm not big into souvenirs, but something like that receipt can elicit a memory more powerfully than a knick-knack.

Welcome home.

Tiziana said...

E' vero, anch'io l'anno scorso ritornata dall'America, ho avuto la stessa sensazione, sembrava tutto un sogno e non realtà, forse perchè era stato tutto così bello e perfetto.
I bei ricordi non si cancellano mai e quando guardo un angolo della mia sala, adesso vuoto, mi viene in mente un piccolo bambino biondo che giocava con le Lego e sorrido felice.
Grazie per essere venuti, non c'è regalo più bello!!

GrandmaK said...

I like you marvel at the "being there." No adventure is complete if there is no reflection on the actual physical presence of the places we've been. I always like to reincert myself into pictures taken and my feelings at the time. It allows the adventure to continue for me. Welcome back. Cathy

JAM said...

Hi Bia,
Welcome home. We've missed you! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. I'm so happy that your family was able to have this wonderful trip.