An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, July 23, 2010

Crossing Over to the Smart Side

Growing up I would see my Mom or my aunts sitting at the exit of every roller coaster or thrill ride at Disney World, waiting for the rest of us to come out.

I used to think: Come on, it's so much fun!

As a teen I would see my Mom (or my aunts) again sitting at the exits, chatting away while the rest of us went on to high heights and thrilling thrills.

I used to think: Good grief.

As a new Mom, I would see groups of Moms (of all ages) waiting at each exit ramp for their loved ones to come out.

I used to think: I'm never going to be a Mom like that . . . I'm going on those rides with my family . . . I'm going to be a cool mom.

Well, yesterday at Six Flags I realized that I have officially become one of those moms...

The kind of Mom who walks her family to a ride, wishes them well, then sits/stands at the exit ramp holding everyone's drinks, hats, and keys.

Now I think:
Why do I want my spine rearranged?
Why do I want my neck to be whipped about?
Why do I want to be dizzy? And light-headed?

What, am I stupid?

No, I have officially crossed over to the smart side . . . I just don't know why it took me so long.

5 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Great post...I used to think the same way. How I just revel in the joy all others have! Wishing you well! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

It's been a few years since I've been to a park, sigh, but on one of my last trips (Six Flags Over Texas), I blacked out for two moments on one ride.

I think that may have been my last roller coaster, but I can't remember. Is that bad that I can't remember? Should I blame the coaster?

Therese said...

This must be why I hate spinny rides when I used to love them! We are taking the older 2 to six flags in a couple of weeks...we'll see what happens!

Tiziana said...

Finalmente mi puoi capire.....

Laura said...

If I DO decide to be Laura fun aunt....I end up sitting on a bench with nausea for a couple hours.
I wish I could have known at the time that my last roller coaster ride was THE LAST. You know what I mean?