An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Little Jedi Wisdom at the Park

I like when school starts because I am more organized with my exercise routine. Most mornings, I drop the boys off at school and, on the way home, stop at a nearby park and jog 2-3 miles.

But I am not an ordinary jogger because I like to do intervals of power walking, sprinting, and jogging. I really work up a sweat and get my heart rate going.

This morning I was keeping pace with a black woman in front of me. She was a little older than me, short, and very, very round. Not overweight ... just round.

But boy could she jog. She jogged and jogged without stopping.

As I was walking around trying to cool off after my workout, she approached me and asked why I always walked up the hills and then jogged down them.

A little embarassed, I started telling her about my interval training routine of walking and jogging, of how I maintain a good heart rate, of how . . .

but then I stopped.

She was actually making me feel guilty.

You keep a very good pace, she said. But you should jog up those hills. Learn to use the terrain ... lean into the hills, and then catch your breath as you let the momentum carry you down the hills.

Wow. I felt like I was getting a lesson on life from Yoda.

But her name was Dell, and I liked her.

I hope I see her tomorrow . . . and you can bet I will be jogging up those hills.

2 comments:

Tiziana said...

Ho sempre fatto fatica a correre, preferisco camminare perĂ²... posso chiedere a Paola se possiamo provare, a patto che sopra la nostra collinetta ci sia un'ambulanza che ci aspetta con le luci accese. Ciao!!

PAOLA said...

no, no ... non riesco a correre: mi sento tutta "mescolata" e mi fanno male le gambe. Poi non resisto neppure per uin minuto!