An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Little Melancholy on a Rainy Evening

This evening I attended Back to School Night in which parents have the opportunity to go and meet their child's teacher.

As I was sitting at my son's desk, noticing how he organized his books and how his pencil was sharpened down to a nub because he (obviously) loves his handheld pencil sharpener, I became a little melancholy. One son in high school, one son in eighth grade, and one son (my baby) in first grade.

Then I remembered this letter I wrote almost three years ago.

That feeling never does go away, does it?


Dear Little One,

You know how Peter Pan felt when he lost his shadow? Well, that's how I feel today on this, your first day of preschool. For the past four years you have been my shadow, accompanying me everywhere: Bible Study, carpool, luncheons, weekday Mass, library.


The one constant of my days has been you at my side.

This morning I went to the grocery store and you weren't there to mix up my coupons or beg for a matchbox car. I didn't have to explain in two words ("morning snack") to the checkout lady when she asks why the potato chips, the fruit snacks, or the animal cookies were all open.

And now you're off on your own, experiencing exciting adventures, meeting new friends, learning new things, and discovering the beautiful world that is out there. You will have fun, of that I am sure.

But I will miss you.


It seems that once a mother gives birth, she then spends the rest of her life letting her baby go.

Mille Bacioni,
Mommy


5 comments:

Tiziana said...

Maria, sono commossa, che bella lettera, hai espresso quello che tutte le mamme hanno nel cuore.
Pensa che ancora adesso, dopo tanti anni, sento la nostalgia dell'ombra di Damiano che diventava sempre più lunga.
Perchè il tempo passa così in fretta? SIG!

GrandmaK said...

Oh my how the memories flooded back as I remember those days of "release." You letter is very touching. Wising yo well! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Now you see why I don't let my kids keep their sharpeners at their tables. Some would sit and sharpen all day!

The pic of your first grader tugged at my heart. My "equivalent" snap is of Mac's car driving away on Saturday morning. Not as cute, but he was leaving me.

JR's family said...

That is such a sweet letter to your little boy.

We're glad Nicholas is in high school now because now he gets to do all the youth group stuff.

Michelle Rose :)

E said...

I have one who just moved out, one who is a senior in college at Mt Holyoke and one who is just starting high school. I am way into the letting go years.These are no longer the years of holding hands and blowing bubbles on tummies. When I saw Toy Story, (have you seen it?) I sobbed. For me it was all about my ever deepening work of letting go.
Of course there are blessings in these new experiences too. I will be having dinner at my son's house cooked for us by him. You will be cheering at soccer games and watching him with bunny ears in the school play.
Roots and wings...only I am finding that the roots part was easier....