An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Nonno eating? Nonno Praying? Nonno Loving? Nonno sleeping.

My parents' downstairs air conditioner broke last week. During the night it wasn't a problem because they simply moved to an upstairs bedroom, but during the few days it took to order a new unit their waking hours were spent anywhere but at home.

They visited my sister in Columbia, they went to the mall, and one weekday afternoon they decided to go see a movie.

Before I continue, here's what you should know about my father: he watches the news, Jeopardy, and any movie with John Wayne in it. That's it. If anyone happens to be watching anything else, my Dad sees that as an opportune time to take a nap.

So, imagine my grin when my mom announced they were going to see Eat, Pray, Love.

Oh, this was going to be good. My father watching Julia Roberts eat her way through Italy, pray in India, and fall in love in Bali.

Imagine that . . . Nonno at a chick flick. Even just thinking about it sent me into gales of laughter. When I called my husband with this earth-shattering news, and after he asked, What's Eat, Pray, Love? he said, At least it will be cool in the theater so he can take a nap.

See what I mean? My Dad is very predictable.

So, what did you think of the movie?
I asked my Dad the following evening.

What do you think? he responded, trying to sound grumpy while grinning at the same time.

Which, in my opinion, is a very evasive answer.

So here's what I think: deep down in the recesses of his John Wayne heart . . . he secretly enjoyed it (at least those parts during which he was awake).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear daughter, you overly limit my appreciation for movies. I also happen to like Clint Eastwood (Western's only). You also misinterpreted my expression when you questioned me about thhis dumb movie. The only thing good about this movie was that I went with your Mother, the theater was cool. The movie also made me hungry. So there's the facts. By-the-way; did I mention that I was the only male in the theater with only six ladies, none of them very young. Love, Dad

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Dear Bia's Dad,

I have heard the book is boring and the movie is worse. I may have to turn in my chick card.

However, since I am often too cold in movie theaters, I guess I'm girlie enough.

Unforgiven was a great movie, and I really liked The Shootist.

From,
Ellie in IL

Tiziana said...

Che risate!!!!Dwight, spero veramente che ti abbiano aggiustato l'aria condizionata, altrimenti va a pesca o a golf oppure a casa di Maria dove puoi mangiare e dormire in pace.
Ti auguro un bellissimo viaggio nel vero far-west, dove certamente non incontrerai Julia Roberts, ma il vero spirito di John Wayne.

Ua said...

Ha! This is great - we have ammunition for the future: "do you remember when Dad went to see the Chick Flick...?"

E said...

Dear Bia's Dad,

You are a good husband. Better get that AC fixed though before she takes you shoe shopping at the mall!

From A Bia Admirer in Vermont,
Ellen