An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Diamonds on the Soda Machine?

Yesterday was one of my husband's Fridays off, and while he worked on staining the front door I was inside dusting. The windows were open, so I decided to put on a cd and crank up the volume so we could both hear it.

I selected Paul Simon's Graceland, which I think is one of the single best albums of all time. The percussion, the African rhythms ... just beautiful.

And there, on track no. 5, I made a startling discovery: up until that very moment I thought the lyrics to the song were diamonds on the soda machine. Imagine my surprise when I heard diamonds on the soles of her shoes.

Huh? I grabbed the cd and sure enough ...

When I told my husband he was, quite frankly, speechless.

As I'm sure you are, too.

In my defense, refer to my previous post ... it will explain everything.

5 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

I now want an ice cold Coke in a glass bottle.

Seriously though, that's one of the most famous lyrics from that album! How did you get it wrong? I'm laughing, yes, at you, right now!

Bia said...

let me just say that this is an honest mistake: the first time i heard that song (on the radio) i learned the wrong lyrics. then, later whenever song came on i would be singing along - loudly -and not bothering to listen to the lyrics ... because i already knew them, right? see how that could happen?

good golly, my husband is still speechless.

GrandmaK said...

You are a treasure, but indeed I can understand! (all smiles here!!!)
cathy

Tiziana said...

Pensa cosa potrei capire io se l'ascoltassi!!!
Cosa succede Maria???eh! eh!

Lisa said...

Ahahahaha! Oh, seriously, though -- It's embarassing all the lyrics the children have correctd me about. (LOVE Graceland, btw. Have you ever listened to his newer cd: Surprise? It's a good one, too -- and very telling about where Paul Simon's life and thoughts have gone...)