An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's not what we say ... it's what we mean to say

My mom, my sister and I have this quirky trait: we (unknowingly) swap out words to come up with new titles.

For example:

Me, to the boys: Nonno and Nonna are in South Dakota today. They are visiting the sites where Dancing with the Wolves was made.

What I meant to say: Dances with Wolves

-----------------------

My Mom, to us: Have you seen that new television show, Two Seconds to Win It?

What she meant to say: Minute to Win it

-----------------------

My Sister to me: You know, that movie Postcards from Verona is coming out on DVD today.

What she meant to say: Letters to Juliet.

-----------------------

Me, to the boys: Why don't we watch a movie tonight ... how about Wind Breaker?

What I meant to say: Air Bender

-----------------------

That last one had my boys rolling in laughter ... especially when it took me a good five minutes to figure out what was so funny. When I finally got it (that's another quirky trait I have ... it takes me a while to get it) I had to admit it was funny ... I mean, can you IMAGINE a movie entitled Wind Breaker? Sheesh.

8 comments:

Ua said...

Hilarious! You win, Bia! Wind Breaker... hee, hee!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

My sister once pointed at a ground squirrel and said, "Look a ground chuck!"

I laughed as long as your boys, though you are much funnier than my sister.

GrandmaK said...

If it's any consolation it takes me awhile to get it too! ;) Cathy

Tiziana said...

Eh! Eh!...e ti accorgerai che più passa il tempo e più errori si faranno, l'importante è fare una bella risata.

Chiara said...

ah non sei l'unica!!
Papà a noi: dopo il ranch andiamo allo "zoo safari" di Genova!

invece di: acquario di Genova...

questa è una delle tante che dice ogni giorno!!! =)

Amy Jo said...

I laughed aloud at the Air Bender one! Too cute! My husband does the same thing...and my kids roll laughing. Now we all have years of silly mispoken words to laugh at as inside jokes. It's one of those things that makes family great! :)

Anonymous said...

It's O.K. All of us in the family understand each other because we are sooooo SMART.

NONNA

Lisa said...

Oh, my gosh, Bia, you are so cracking me up here! &:o)) (I've so missed visiting you!)