An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Little Caesars Dancing Girl

Saturday evening I decided to leave the men at home and run an errand. Truthfully, the "errand" was an excuse; I was tired and looking forward to an hour by myself.

At a busy intersection I passed a Little Caesars carryout restaurant which is famous for their $5 pizzas. Ever since their grand opening a few months ago, the Little Caesars mascot has been a permanent fixture at that intersection and we have been thoroughly entertained. The mascot dances, waves, and twirls around. The mascot is cute.

This evening, however, the mascot wasn't there; instead, on the corner was a teenage girl, wearing a reflective vest (it was starting to get dark) and holding a Little Caesars posterboard.

And she was dancing. She had earphones in her ears and she was waving her posterboard and she was dancing. Joyously.

She was twirling and whirling and so into the moment, oblivious to the traffic and the noise.

And she made me laugh ... out loud.

I drove through the intersection and turned around. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I just felt as if I had to thank her for her joy.

As I pulled into the parking lot outside the restaurant the girl was walking back. Her shift was over.

I stood by the door. When she approached I told her what a good job she did and how her joy was infectious.

And she laughed.

And I laughed.

And that's it. My errand was over and I went home.

5 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

I wonder if her dance made people feel a craving for pizza or just joy. I think I'd prefer the latter!

What a neat memory you made by stopping to talk to her!

Tiziana said...

Leggere il tuo blog mi ha messo allegria e mi sono fatta una bella risata. Grazie Bia.

Ua said...

I would dance like an idiot, too, if I could have Little Caesar's everyday! I swear, that place is a lifesaver sometimes... PIZZA NIGHT!

Darla said...

Just to see something like that just makes it all worth it, doesn't it?

Lisa said...

This is what I like about you, Bia. Joy is infectious.