An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, September 6, 2010

Why God Matters

Why God Matters
a book review

I once read that in our faith journey, one either goes forward or one goes backwards . . . but one cannot stand still.

As a busy mother with three sons, standing still wouldn't describe my life. With my boys in Catholic School, it seems as if our faith is woven into the very fabric of our family: Mass on Sundays; big, Italian celebrations for every Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation and Marriage; monthly Reconciliation; grace before meals; Sunday night rosary.

And yet, I wonder if my relationship with God - my personal faith journey - is being overshadowed by all the running around I am doing to live my faith; in other words, by doing things in the name of my faith, am I losing sight of God, the source of my faith?

This is one of many questions addressed in the book Why God Matters by Deacon Steven Lumbert and his daughter, Karina Lumbert Fabian. Through personal stories, scripture, and references to the Catechism of the Catholic Church they have written a straight-forward book reminding us that when we look for God in our ordinary day-to-day life, it then becomes extraordinary.

It's a simple book by a father and daughter, but its very simplicity highlights the richness of our faith.

And it inspired me to view every day as a gift in my faith journey . . . a journey for which I will neither stand still nor retrace my steps, but one in which I will continue to move forward.

Why God Matters
How to Recognize Him in Daily Life
by: Karina Lumbert Fabian and Deacon Steven Lumbert
book website: go here
Excerpt: Chapter 2


5 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Wonderful post! Wishing you a grand day! Cathy

Tiziana said...

Grazie Maria, riesci sempre ad aprire i cuori.

Karina Fabian said...

Bia,

Thank you so much for touring Why God Matters. My dad and I are so glad you enjoyed the book and that it helped you look at your own faith journey in a new light.

Your sons are very luck y to be growing up in a home where faith is so woven into their daily lives. Keep up the good work!

Blessings,
Karina Fabian

Tribute Books said...

Maria, thank you so much for sharing 'Why God Matters' with your blog readers. We're glad that you enjoyed the book.

You hit on a pertinent point - everyone's lives are so busy that we forget how necessary it is at times to just stop.

I wish your boys (and of course, their mom) nothing but this best during this new school year.

Best wishes,
Nicole
Tribute Books

E said...

Bia you help me on my faith journey. You spread God's love like warm honey in the world.
I am glad I found you over here...