An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, November 22, 2010

Dr. Dave

My baby brother is a doctor in internal medicine and I must say it’s very nice having a physician on call in the family.

As soon as he graduated from medical school my sister and I began calling him with all our baby questions: how much motrin for a 13-month old? decongestant or antihistamine? when is a rash contagious? is it normal for poop to be this color?

I know we drove him nuts … especially considering that he was practicing in another state and pediatrics was not his specialty (something he reminded us over and over again).

Then there are my parents and all their friends … you know, with their various and sundry ailments.

Mom: David, I have a question. Rosa’s left eye twitches and she wants to know if it’s related to her medicine. What’s that? The name of the medicine? I have no idea. Oh, and Stella’s bunion is bothering her … what should she do?

Sometimes we like to put him on the spot. One Thanksgiving we were sitting around the table discussing – of all things – tropical diseases like buruli ulcer disease and schistosomiasis, and on cue we all turned to David.

David: Look, I am not a doctor on infectious diseases! Internal Medicine … remember?

Sheesh. Touchy, touchy.

All kidding aside, he is always there for us.

~When I had a DVT in my leg during my third pregnancy, for months afterwards I would periodically call him in tears thinking that I had another one. His was the voice of calm reassurance that all was well.

~When Jonathan was worried to the point of tears on a private matter, he called Uncle David and all was right with the world again.

~When my nephew had to see a neurologist, David took off work and drove down from North Carolina to go with my sister and brother-in-law to the appointment.

~When our Dad was in the ER, David drove through the night to be with him, staying a couple of days until he was discharged.

Yes, it's nice having a doctor in the family but, truthfully, it is as a son, brother, husband, and father that we know him best.

The doctor part is just icing on the cake.

7 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Awww...my brother is an MLB scout. I did call him recently when one of my students was writing an ABC's of baseball book. Not quite the same!

Tiziana said...

Anche David è sicuramente orgoglioso delle sue sorelle, siete tutti speciali per me.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks! That was really nice. But I'm realizing now I should have specialized in psychiatry.
Dave

Bia said...

ha! that outburst you just heard was me bursting out in laughter.

did i mention that dr. dave is also a comedian?

Anonymous said...

That's my baby!!!!
MOM

Lisa said...

heehee! Loving the back porch exchange here, Bia. You have a wonderful family, all the way around.

Lisa said...

Oh, and by the way: Happy Thanksgiving, Bia, and family!